How many years back of work experience should i put on my resume?

I'm working on my resume- there is a massage therapist position i would like to apply for. i have already had a job in a spa in 2009. for 4 years before that, i worked at IHOP. and for 4 years before that, i was working at mcdonalds and gap. so thats 9 years- how many should i include in the resume? i heard something like 5 years but not sure. thank you!!!

snoober_k

Asked by snoober_k at 10:16 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• At least application-wise, they don't usually go by years, but buy your three most recent jobs. That's what I usually put on my resume. It makes it a little more streamlined.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I would say at least 10 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• That's a good question. I am looking for part time work but it's been 6 years since I had a job and most of the places i worked at are out on business.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• The "experts" say 10 years. You could always lump some jobs together under the heading "retail jobs" or something like that so the focus is more on your skills and less on all the places you've worked.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It's not about years or recent jobs --it's about relevance. If it is relevant (to the job you're seeking), there is no 'best before date' --and absolutely no reason to mention a job that's not related (apart from continuity of employment).

Resumes are not applications for Top Secret clearance, and do not need to include anything irrelevant to the job at hand --including more education than is related-- is a waste of paper. You're selling a commodity (your time and talent) and they're shopping for what fits their needs. Not your autobiography.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• The rule of thumb is ten years.

I do career and job search coaching; I will be happy to review your resume.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2010