Can I get my tubes tied?

I know there are requirements but I hear they are different everywhere.

I am 21. I had a son at 17 but chose adoption and DH and I have 1 DD.

DH wants a boy but I don't want anymore biological kids. I want to adopt if we decide we want more kids later on. Even then, it will be a very long time from now. I have arthritis in my lower back; found out when I was 18. My knees and hips are always hurting and for the last two weeks or so my back has been hurting so bad. It's just gradually gotten worse since I had DD and I really don't see me going through another pregnancy unless they will do the surgery for arthritis but I'm told I am too young for it.

So, does anyone know the chances of a doctor being willing to tie my tubes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Health

• Different states, and different medical practices in each state, have their own guidelines. Schedule an appointment with an OB and discuss it with them. Most state laws have medical exemptions and you might be able to get one because of your arthritis.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well you will only know if you try. BUT if you can't find a doctor that will tie your tubes so young, try a long term BC like an IUD, they usually last anywhere from 5-10 years. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I got mine done at 21 with no kids. I explained my reasons to my doctor and my future plans and he agreed to do it. It might not be easy to find a doctor who is willing to do it. But you might if you search hard enough.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I am sure. You may change your mind. I would wait. Unless you are certain this is it and no regrets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Wow you are too young! What if you and hubby break up and you marry someone later and really want to have his child? You have so much life ahead of you and you never now what the future brings so I would wait, try iud or something.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OP here.

I have an appointment on the 12th for a pap to make sure all is good before I make an appointment for an IUD. My issue is, I'm really concerned about the chance of it perforating my uterus. I'm planning on getting the copper one with no hormones. I don't want a BC with hormones, I am sure of that. Also, my sister tried to get an IUD and she couldn't because it wouldn't fit. The doctor said something about the IUD being too big. I'm not sure if things like that are genetic or not. She ended up getting her tubes tied after her 3rd baby this past December.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• "I'm really concerned about the chance of it perforating my uterus."

The odds of this happening are comparable to the odds of having a stroke on hormonal BC. People get freaked out about the risks with IUD's, but really the odds are about the same as having big problems from hormonal BC's and people don't even think twice about that. Just food for thought. I used IUD's between kids and was very happy with that form of birth control.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I had Essure done at 21. It took me going to 3 doctors before I found one willing to do it. They wanted me to be 30 before they would do it. But I was unwilling to wait that long. I knew/know I am DONE having children. I cannot handle it anymore (for different than your's though). You just have to be persistent and keep going to doctors until one says yes.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2010