my monkey has become scary....

my dd has started climbing everything...i thought we had gotten it under control and that it was a phase that she was out of...well in the past week she's been climbing on the couch and table and coffee table..both of which are glass...and we have tile or windows on either side of our couches....i don't know what to do to get her to stop climbing..she tries to reach stuff on the mantle and tries to reach the light switch on the wall...she is literally going to bust her head open of fall through the window before she learns....we've tried time out, we've tried spanking her for it, we've tried talking to her telling her that she's going to hurt herself..but nothing works..what can i do to get her to stop climbing????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Would it be possible to have a place where climbing is OK? A small indoor playset, for example, with small steps and a slide?

Answer by Bmat at 10:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I removed what I could. Even a coffee table to the garage, better safe then sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Or maybe continue to insist that climbing it only for outside, and be consistent about it, and make sure she has plenty of outside climbing time?

Answer by Bmat at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• spank the monkey a little harder. Maybe you just havent done it hard enough
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Unfortunately, climbing in a normal part of development.. I'd babyproof what you can and keep taking her back off what she isn't suppose to climb (just pick your battles carefully. Perhaps the couch is ok but the tables aren't..). Try sticking with one method of discipline (i.e. timeouts) and be consistent. (Personally I think spanking if a waste of time but that's just me..). I'd definitely give her plentfy of opportunities to climb safe things be it at the playground of by buying a small climbing set. I'd also make sure to keep the windows closed. While she could fall through a screen, she probably won't actually breakthrough a window (i.e. she doesn't have enough weight/force to break it).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 31, 2010