As a formula feeding mother, do you take offence when the health benefits of breastfeeding are mentioned?

(This isn't a question for breastfeeding mothers to chirp in on).

My question is referring to when the benefits of breastfeeding are mentioned - and formula feeding mothers suddenly become very defesive of their decision- even when nobody has mentioned the use of formula.

For example
BFing mother "I am so glad I chose to breastfeed, the benefits will last us both our lives through"

a rational answer from a FF mom "That's great, it's wonderful that you got to give your child those health benefits"

But what they usually say is something like-

"That's great, but my son is just as healthy as yours - just because you breastfed him doesn't mean he's going to be super healthy all his life - my son is 4 and was never breastfed and is never sick - but my cousin breastfed her kid till she was 3 and she's sick all the time!"

Soooo - yeah, why the defensiveness when nobody said anything bad about formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Uh no. I did both. And there were benefits to both. Besides my kids were healthy and happy, still are. And they are 16 and 11. But then again, I have better things to think about than choosing to get offended. Like the fact that my 16 year old has his first girlfriend ...............NOW THAT is something to think about lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I BF for a month. I wish i did it longer...I try to tell everyone the benefits of BF myself. So, NOPE, I am not offended.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• they only who said something about formula was another person replying, lol go bk and look
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have done both, breast feeding and formula feeding. If a breastfeeding mother was to make a statement such as the one you described up above, I would not take offense to it at all,not one bit.
    But the actual norm is.."I would never feed my baby that crap, (formula) it is poison, do you have any idea what you are putting into your childs mouth? You didn't try hard enough to continure breast feeding, you are a selfish mother"
    Now to that...Yes, I get defensive.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Um, Zakysmommy you were the one who couldn't go past a question about the promotion of breastfeeding without saying "Breast Feeding isn't going to make a difference either way."
    So yeah you areone of those defensive ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yes Because just you mentioning that is so much healthier imply's FFmoms don't care about their kids. And you can drag up all the literature you like. My two best friends who breastfeed have the two sickliest kids ever.

Do you really think a FFmom should pat you on the back each time you mention it? That is the RATIONAL response. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• ".."I would never feed my baby that crap, (formula) it is poison, do you have any idea what you are putting into your childs mouth? You didn't try hard enough to continure breast feeding, you are a selfish mother""

Oh come on!! You do NOT "usually" hear that - I've been on Cafemom a long time, and have been through alot of BF-v-FF posts - and the breastfeeding mothers do not "usually" say this - although the FF ones seem to always read it that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• its guilt. we feel guilty like somehow we failed because we fed formula. I am a formula feeder, had no choice. I only am offended when a bf mom tells me or tries intentionally to provoke me.
    otherwise nope dont react except to say thats great.If I know I am a good mom, no matter what anyone else says, I have no reason tobe defensive or be offended.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree with kimberly. When I see statements like that yes I get defensive. You dont know me and u have no idea what i've gone through as far as trying and wanting desperately to breastfeed my babies. I feel like mom that make those statements:"I would never feed my baby that crap, (formula) it is poison, do you have any idea what you are putting into your childs mouth? You didn't try hard enough to continue breast feeding, you are a selfish mother" are on thier high horse and do it to make themselves feel better.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 10:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2010