im having a hard time getting my 3 yr old son to listen nothing is working..any suggestions?

how can i get my 3yr old son to listen? ive tried everything and nothing is working.

baker79

Asked by baker79 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG I wish I had an answer for ya. My daughter was a VERY busy 3 year old lol. I called her my HIgh Spirited angel. She was very stubborn. But all I did was held her accountable for her actions. I stayed consistant in discipline, sometimes took a shot of jager lol, and she grew out of it. There are alot of books that some parents have found helpful in dealing with the high spirited ones :) Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You mean 'obey' right? Because if you meant 'I think he's deaf' you'd have written that differently.

Which 'everything' have you tried? Just things like bribes, threats, punishment, violence, nagging, criticizing, complaining, coercion? Or other things like 'getting down on his level and finding out what he's already doing' 'listening to what he wants and what he's trying to do' or 'setting up his environment so most of the time he can do whatever he can think of, because it's safe, child-respectful and loving'?

He's THREE. Which means he has not yet grown a pre-frontal cortex, has not got a fully-developed adult brain, has not yet left the Magical Thinking phase when reality is no different to them than dreams or imagination. Meaning: he doesn't take orders because there is a person and an opinion in there, that to HIM is no less valid than yours, and he does not (and will not for years) understand anything the way you do.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Oh for goodness sakes the child is THREE not a teen. TEACH the child. Keep him busy and show him what you want him to do and keep him away from things you don't want him messing with. You are not giving an example so without that, it's the best I can do. This is your job, to teach him. Put him in a safe environment and let him do what little kids do, play and have a good time. Quit giving him so many limits that he's not listening. Keep it simple. Just enjoy the child. It sounds like he's reacting to your negative energy. Chill
    Anonymous