Severe dehydration.

My 4 year old treated for severe dehydration (at the ER last night), that was a result of excessive vomiting due to the stomach flu. She's a little better but still not taking in much fluid, and just wants to sleep. Constantly. She had a few sips of juice and pediasure, but isn't receptive to anything else. What should I do? Just let her rest? She's so weak... she needs calories. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is she still peeing and has the vomiting stopped now? If she is still getting sick, or isn't peeing regularly I would definitely get back in touch with her pediatrician. If she had a significant amount of IV fluids she may just be hydrated enough to see her through sleeping off the bug and will be okay if she doesn't drink a lot for the rest of today. If she's not taking in fluids again by the end of tonight or morning she may have to have another IV treatment to see her through it safely. If you're at all concerned, call her doctor they won't mind!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Just yesterday a friend told me she gave her son Jello to ward off dehydration. I'm not sure how well that actually works, but she would get some calories, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i have plenty of things to hydrate her (juice, pedialyte, jello, popsicles, etc) she just doesnt want any of it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Did they give her IV fluids? If so, just let her sleep. My ds went in the hospital last Sunday night and was in until Tuesday night with the same thing. He took in 4 and 3/4 bags of fluids. (10 yr old, 61 lbs child). The doc said as long as the vomiting had stopped, they had him hydrated enough to let him just rest and to drink when he got thirsty.
    We had jello, popsicles, Sprite, Gatorade here. Did they give her something for the vomiting (like Zofran?)
    Keep her on a clear diet for a day or two, broths, jello, popsicles, then try bland foods and then the BRAT diet. After a week my ds is still avoid dairy.
    Good luck and call the doc if you have concerns and take her back in if you dont think she is getting better!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• She will be fine for now without calories. Try popsicles or koolaid as she needs to stay hydrated. Just let her sleep and make sure she has plenty to drink when she feels like it. She will spring back.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2010