Feeding and daycare?????

My lil' one is 6 1/2 months old and goes to an in home daycare almost everyday. He is only getting breastmilk or formula everyday while at daycare and then I try to give him a meal of baby food for dinner, is this enough? I looked on Gerber online and it says that he should be getting all sorts of meals throughout the day not just milk but I'm concerned now. The other kids/babies get snacks and everything because they have teeth and are able to eat finger foods but it takes awhile to feed him cause he's only been eating solids for about a month now. Anyone have any answers to this? Should I just make sure he gets all of his meals when he's home with us on the weekends and wait until he can eat bigger snacks or what should I do?? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at that age, the primary source of nutrition should still be breastmilk/formula, solids are just for "experimenting"
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• At that age, really...as long as he is eating an adequate amount of breast milk or formula, he'll be fine. If you feel he is ready to move on to finger foods, give it a shot. Practice makes perfect :)
    Try giving him some cheerios or those puffs and see how he handles them after a few weeks and then move on to other foods. Also, try asking your daycare provider, I bet she has some tips she could offer you!
    He's okay mama :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• At that age as long as he's getting recommended amount of formula he will be fine. The milk/formula is more important than any food he gets, think of food as a supplement. If he acts like he's hungry after bottles or if you want to increase his food just have the daycare provider give a jar of baby food or two while he's there, it shouldn't be a problem. He shouldn't be getting snacks or something else the other kids are getting JUST because the other kids are getting it. He needs to eat what's appropriate for him. And, I wouldn't go off of Gerber's website....their job is to sell baby food lol. Talk with your ped about what is the best plan for YOUR baby.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:25 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Normally you just START introducing baby food at 6 months. And that's more to get used to the idea of sitting up, eating solids, swallowing, eating off a spoon, than it is for nutrition. I wouldn't worry about your child's eating while at Daycare.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Gerber is not a good source to get breastfeeding or feeding info. They want to sell their stuff.

Since your baby is over 6 months he can eat solids and whatever milk you can pump while you are away. He can eat regular food and doesn't need jar food, cereal, puffs, ect. When you are together, breastfeed ONLY. No solids for dinner. This way he gets as much human milk as possible, reduces the pressure to pump, and eliminates formula. Soon you may be able to eliminate pumping at all.

You want to eliminate formula. Solids are better than formula. Just eliminating feeding dinner makes up for giving formula. MDs are not trained in breastfeeding or nutrition and aren't good sources of info. You want to get info from breastfeeding experts that are advocates for babies and mothers.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Gerber is out to sell you more of their product, pure and simple. The advice they give is 100% in support of that goal, not the health of your baby, optimal nutrition based on extensive, unbiased research or anything else: just marketing their products.

Human babies do not EVER need pureed and jarred food. If they did, blenders and canning would have been invented a long time before 1700.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well, I am not quite as against the jarred and pureed baby foods as some people, although at this age I am still all for babies primary nutrition needs being met by breast milk (exclusively if possible and supplemented with formula as necessary). If I were you I would consider asking your daycare provider to feed your son at least at lunch time when the other kids are eating- for one thing I think it will include him as part of the group and for another it will help him get more experience and experimentation with food. When my DD was this young it was easier for me to just take a jar of a food I knew she was ok with to the sitter and it would last 2-3 days. Then you can nurse at home and if you want to feed him again while you eat dinner just make sure that he has already had his fill of breast milk so the food isn't taking up tummy space that could be filled by nursing. (Cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Then gradually your baby will eat more and more at each setting over the next several months, he will learn to try and like different foods and textures, etc.

One thing I liked about jarred or pureed baby foods was that it is easy, especially to take to day care or to grab at dinner time when whatever I was eating was not baby friendly. Another thing is that at that age, my DD just didn't really know about chewing or anything so it took her a while to not gag on a big bite of applesauce let alone to be able to mash a noodle with her gums. She is 18 months now and still prefers the texture of some foods pureed- like she loves pureed carrots I make for her but if I just steam them and cut them up she won't touch them, just mashes them with her fingers.

Lastly, go with your gut- you will get a good idea of what your baby is ready for and if he is getting enough to eat just by watching him and knowing what is normal for him.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010