Can I tan while pregnant??

Can I? Some do and some don't. My acne is awful with this pregnancy and tanning has always helped in the past-but some say that I can tan while pregnant and others say no.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would say no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You shouldn't be tanning when you're NOT pregnant....it's terrible for you.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Ok-for those WHO do tan......can you answer this for me....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Sorry, I didn't answer your question. It's something you should really discuss with your doctor. There isn't any evidence that tanning rays themselves will harm the baby....but the big concern is the rise in body temperature while you are in the bed. Not to mention that in some states it's illegal for a pregnant to tan and many places have a policy not to allow pregnant in.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:35 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Pregnancy is not the time to worry about how sexy you look. Geez just take the time to relax, enjoy your pregnancy, eat well, take vitamins..Not a time to want men to think you are sexy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Thanks-see I didn't know that it was illegal-good to know.

Umm-not concerned about looking sexy-am concerned about painful zits on my back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• they do have some beds that have a lower intensity level. Each doctor has they're own rules about this, i'd talk to yours. My very first doctor said as long as there's fans on and you don't get hot it should be fine but be warned, you may burn easier. In his words, it's only light. And my newer doctors said, never, no way. it's like an oven to your baby. I did tan very little. i think a total of 5 times in just over a month and it was a low intensity bed. never got hot, and i started out on the lowest time slot as well. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• There are no additional dangers to being in the sun while pregnant. If you get overheated, you'll move long before your core body temperature rises a whole degree --and having a fever isn't dangerous to your baby, either (and that increases your body temperature more than 5 degrees).

All of this speculation is based on some seriously flawed rat studies that have no relevance to humans.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Ok, I don't have any info for you on tanning but I just wanted to sympathize with you! I had the WORST "back-ne" when I was pregnant, it was so horrible. It went away after I delivered though so I just wanted to give you that tiny ray of hope. I was exfolliating like crazy and trying to get toner back there and everything. Good luck finding a cure!! I did tell myself that it could have been worse and all over my face instead. So much for glowing pregnancy skin, right? :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2010