wondering about heart murmur and preemies

just found out our 1 1/2 yo little boy has a heart murmur and was told not to worry. Like that's going to happen. Just noticed that he pants sometimes for no reason. He was born at 28 weeks and has not had any signs of aesthma, so not sure what is going on.

stacbabe

Asked by stacbabe at 11:31 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was born 1 month early due to me having pre eclampsia, she was born with many health problems including a heart murmur. But she has had 3 echocardiograms, and everyone of them shows her heart murmur is functioning. If they tell you not to worry I wouldn't worry, unless something else caused them alarm. My daughters heart murmur has never scared me, not after the specialists did the echo's. Did they say anything about doing an echo just to make sure everything is working properly?
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• most of the time a heart murmur is harmless and goes away by itself. I would keep an eye on him for asthma though. There is a huge chance that he will have it being a 28 weeker. Asthma doesn't always sound like wheezing, it can be a cough too. When my daughter has a asthma attack it's like she's coughing and can't stop.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Said they were ordering his echo from the NICU. Havn't heard back from the pedi so didn't think about it much. Just noticed him panting the other day while he was just sitting on the floor. I know I have asthma and it comes on like a cough. May do an echo if she still hears it on his 2 year check up.
    stacbabe

Answer by stacbabe at 11:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Lots of people have heart murmurs. There are dangerous heart murmurs and completely safe ones. If you're concerned, ask for a second opinion.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my dd has a murmur they noticed at 9 months. we were sent for an ekg, and found it is a "functional" murmur as opposed to "systemic" murmur. that basically means that it will go away as she gets older. the other kind you have to just check up on and also take antibiotics before any dental work. does he tire easliy or do his extremities turn blue easily? these are things they told me to watch for before they did the ekg and found it was just fine.
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 6:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2010