is using the words hillbilly or redneck offensive to you? is it the same as saying the "n" word?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol, I call my boys rednecks all the time. I think white trash is more comparable to the "n word".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I honestly do not view hillbilly and redneck as derogatory anymore. I've embraced the terms so if people use them in a derogatory fashion I usually blow it off but yes, I think N is offensive and if someone uses it around me I will tell them about themselves.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 11:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• No, I really don't find it offensive, I think its funny.
    And I agree with pp, I would more compare "white trash to the "n" word" those are vulgar and meant to offend someone to the bone.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:49 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You know the word "redneck" came from the farming days when people who worked outside would get sunburned or their necks would turn red from the dirt. So I kinda think it's a compliment :-) rednecks were hardworkers!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 11:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• 2 of my fav. words...but i think someone must be offended by it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my son calls the cats rednecks..haha
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm not offended by them because I am neither. The words are very accurate methods of describing certain people or groups of people. I guess if the term offends you, you should strive harder not to fall into those categories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• lol Shay
    I use hillbilly alot because my dads side is well, hillbilly. No indoor plumbing and a wood burning stove. Hillbilly. I dont use the other words except when I sing that Gretchen Wilson song. But no way do I say the N word. That is just the way it is for me.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm not nearly that easily offended. In fact, it's difficult to offend me even directly, mostly because I just don't give words that kind of power.

It has been my experience of people that they're exactly as offended as they choose to be, in any given situation --and will often use words themselves that they claim are absolutely unacceptable in any circumstances. Mostly, when people get all heated up about nonsense like this, I find myself smirking because it all sounds so... kindergarten...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Not at all. My mom's side of the family are hillbillies. You can't throw a stone without hitting a redneck down here in GA. LOL!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010