what to give a 4 month baby for constipation??

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 11:48 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tummy Massage - Gently massage and rub baby's tummy in a clockwise direction. Place your hands at baby's navel and massage in a circular motion, moving your hand(s) out and away from the center of baby's belly.
    Warm Bath - Some medical professionals suggest giving your constipated baby a warm bath. The thought is that this may help relax baby and "get things moving" again. Give a tummy massage as you are drying baby.
    Bicycle Legs - Place your baby on her back and lightly hold her legs in a half-bent position. Gently begin to move your baby's legs as if she is riding a bicycle. Alternate "Bicycle Legs" with Tummy Massage. *"Bicycle Legs" also may help to relieve a baby who is gassy.

Try giving one to two ounces of diluted fruit juice such as grape, prune or apple-prune twice daily and practice some of the above exercises. (Always consult your pediatrician about the appropriateness of new foods/liquids to help alleviate
    datmami22

Answer by datmami22 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• karo and water on prune juice only an once or two
    Mrs.Rod_milwife

Answer by Mrs.Rod_milwife at 11:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• At that age when my daughter was constipated, the nurse told me to make a bottle mixture of 2 ounces baby apple juic to 2 ounces of water. Give her 2 ounces of the mixture (slightly warmed up) in the morning and then again in the afternoon...do this between normal feedings. I used to do it for like 3 days in a row and she would be back to normal and then I would just do it again as necessary.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Some prune juice mixed with just alil water
    Tryin4GodsAngel

Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 11:52 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well... that depends. Is the baby formula or breastfed?

Iron-fortified formulas are 'binding' and the cure is to stop using iron-fortified. Because manufacturers are stuck buying the cheapest possible iron sources, they aren't appropriate for human digestion and the dose has to be really high --which most people have great difficulty digesting. Feed alternative, high-iron foods that are easier to digest, like meat.

If the baby is breastfed, is it constipation (hard, difficult to pass poop) or infrequency? It is normal for breastfed babies to poop up to 10 times a day, and as rarely as once every 10 days. As long as it is soft, it's not constipation, it's normal.

Iron-fortified infant cereals are much more binding than non-iron fortified, if she's eating those, but even non-fortified cereals are high in inappropriate (hard to digest) fiber and contribute very little nutrition (vitamins per calorie), so they're best avoided .
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• This is what my mom always told me to do. And it WORKS! Instantly. There's no giving the baby juice and then waiting...it works right away...it's kind of gross and messy...but I'm serious, it works almost every time. I did it when my kids got constipated...Put a thermometer up their butt...lol. Like you're taking a rectal temp, like the doctors do...it makes them poop every time. I had to do it to my son like twice a day when he was constipated at like 5 months. I'm serious..it works.
    Anonymous

• What worked for me was...and still is....Mineral Oil. Its not harmful, there is no odor or flavor. You can just add it to the bottle of whatever you're feeding him/her. It has the same effect as Karo, but I was concerned about giving my kids Karo since it is so sweet. What else works is apple juice - sugar free.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Not Karo Syrup. Why do people keep putting this up when others tell them it's dangerous and the company that makes Karo Syrup warns against it? Why would someone want to recommend something dangerous for others to do to their babies?

Here is what Dr. William Sears says to do about constipation. He is a well know pediatrician and author. He gives many suggestions that won't fit in this little box.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• NO Karo. Their website specifies that. First, what is the baby's diet, and what are the symptoms? Last bowel movement was when, and what was the consistency? The answers to these questions will help determine what, if anything, you need to do. If baby is not on solids yet, I wouldn't give prunes or prune juice, if baby is EBF, its common and safe to go days without a bowel movement, as long as the movements are not dry, hard, or pellet like, etc. This is why I need more info.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• No Karo. And no thermometers up the butt either...that can cause problems where they aren't able to pass.

Make sure this is REAL constipation. That's passing hard dry pellets,. nothing else. If the baby is breastfed he could go many days without a poop...I've seen as long as 20 with a normal blowout breastfed baby mess at the end.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2010