How on earth can you tell if you lost your mucus plug?

Im 36 weeks 4days and when I went in for my 36 week check up I was dialated at a 2 and today Im having an extreme amount of this thick white stuff coming out when I go potty. I had to whipe a million times to get it off of me lol, would that be the mucus plus? Is so how long befor I can expect to start having some sort of contractions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Its bloody and mucusy
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:53 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OP... Oh no blood that would scare me to death, my aunt never mentioned any blood when she lost hers I wonder if its different for every one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• The mucus plug should have some blood in it. You could be having the discharce because of the exam. You have 4 weeks to go yet so I don't think it is the mucus plug.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It's not really scary blook. It's more like lots of mucus with blood in in like if you have a dry nose in winter and there is a little blood in the mucus when you blood. It's not like a bloody nose.

It helps to get some books about labor and delivery or video childbirth classes so you know about everything. You can find lots of info online on websites like the Lamaze site. You can go on YouTube site and see births. Watch some of the water births, homebirths, or unassisted births. These are usually easy births.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Its not a whole lot of blood, sorry didn't mean to scare you,lol.But thats how you willknow, it is bloody and mucus mixed together.Its okay, it doesnt hurt and its normal, natural and nothing to fear. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• The mucus plug does not always have blood in it. When I lost the first huge chunk of it with both of my pregnancies, there was no blood. When I continued to lose even more with my second (which I thought was impossible because there'd already been so much, lol), it was slightly tinged with blood (just a few streaks of red, nothing alarming), this right before labor.

It could be pieces of the plug, or it could just be normal pregnancy discharge. Either way, it doesn't mean anything. With my first, I lost my plug at 37 weeks, and no labor by my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. If you don't go into labor within a few days, the plug regenerates itself (so it's possible to lose it twice!). So no need to worry.

And if it isn't the plug, you'll probably realize it when you do lose it, lol. It's a ridiculous amount of discharge, enough to "plop" in the toilet if you lose it all at once.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my mucus plug looked like snot. it was so gross. it is different for everyone. i bled the last few times they checked my cervix too. some of my friends have told me they had blood with their mucus plug.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my mucus plug didn't have blood in it. it also looked like yellowy snot. i went into labor like 3 days later but lots of people go weeks before labor begins after losing a mucus plug.
    Anonymous

• The mucous plug hardly ever has blood in it when you first start to lose it! The bloody show comes later, usually after a vaginal check. It will have a red string of blood through it... its not loose blood or anything. If you are 2cm dilated, you would have already started to lose your plug. You lose your plug as you continue to dilate. But it doesnt mean anything so there is no reason to trip on whether or not you have lost it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• mine was a very thick slimy ywllowish color wiht tinged red in it. when you wipe it kinda feels like pulling, and slides across the TP. mine came out for 3 days straight! I had to wear pads cuz it was ecerywhere!! sorry if TMI
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2010