does anyone know how the new health care bil affects income based insurance?

My family is currently covered under family health plus, child health plus, and infant medicaid. Unfortunately it is income-based, and we can be kicked out of the program at any time if DH's paychecks go above a certain limit. We have to recertify every 6 months, and sometimes we don't qualify because we are $100 over because DH works retail and has erratic bonuses. We usually can make it in a month or two. We can't afford the insurance through DH's work. It's $400 a month, and we have to pay half of all ER and surgeries plus co-pays and deductibles. Just the premiums alone would use up our food, gas, household, and utilities costs. What would happen to us if we're without insurance temporarily?

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 11:57 AM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Right now Medicaid rules are different in each state.

What happens to people without insurance? If someone gets sick they could get tens of thousands of dollars of medical bills, loose everything, and be homeless. It happened to us. We had to move from Indiana to Arizona where I could get Medicaid and my son could get some of his expensive medications for a pre-existing condition covered. We lost everything. We each came to Arizon with 2 suitcases. That was 2 years ago.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Right now, nothing will change. This bill doesn't go into effect until 2014. At that point, I don't know how you would be affected. If your income is about the same, I would venture to guess that you would qualify for medicaid, in some way. But, I really couldn't say for sure. You're just going to have to wait and see, like everyone else.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:15 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• If you make less than $22,0000 you can stay on medicare. If not you will get some kind of stipend to help you pay for your part of your insurance. Your part? Well you have to figure out wher that comes from. But good news. You do have till 2014 get a job that will allow you to pay your part
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• sorry, that was medicaid not medicare
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010