Do you ever feel like a bad mom for working?

i feel so conflicted about working. I lvoe DD to death, and I hate to leave her. But it is kind of nice to get out of the house for a few hours a day. She is 3 months old, I had to go back to work when she was about 4 or 5 weeks. (too bad the landlord won't take baby smiles for rent lol). I just hate it somedays. She's getting to the point where when I pick her up she either just grins at me all night and won't sleep, or she won' t even look at me! I hate it when she does that, it makes me feel so bad. DH is home with her every night and shes only at the babysitter for about 2-3 hours a day. I just feel like I'm missing so much of her day and it breaks my heart :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think I'm a better mom for going to work. Being a stay at home home just isn't for me- love my son to death, I just couldn't handle being home all day everyday.
    Anonymous

• LOL
    I work full time and HATE it. But I am a single mom. For me it would be idea to work part time 1/2 day.
    I think that you are doing good. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I think it comes with the territory. Guilt and conflicted feelings are often a part of being a mom. I feel guilt when I work, but I also felt guilt when I stayed home. No matter what I do it seems like maybe I should do more.
    Anonymous

• I had to work from the time my son was 7 weeks old until he was 9.There were times when I did feel like a bad mom because I'd have to get a babysitter for him when he was sick and I couldn't takehim to the daycare, I felt like I was missing out on so much and the daycare workers were getting to see all his firsts. And I missed him so much and sometimes when I would drop him off, he would cling to me and cry.
    I don't work now with the newest addition but sometimes I feel like a bad mom because I don't have as much money as I used to and I don't get to do as much stuff with my son like go to the movies, go shopping,go to the arcade,whatever, I just can't afford it anymore.
    So, I guess its goes both ways. But I've always loved them just as much!! And that has to count.Just know that you are doing the best that you can for your child and that matters a whole lot. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I feel your pain... I just went back to work 3months ago, and since i dont drive we have to drop our daughter off at her grandmothers house for days at time. i havent seen her since sunday, we are picking her up today and then dropping her off at her other g-moms house. it sucks... it doesnt get any better.. sorry
    jnc10501

Answer by jnc10501 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I hated working. I couldn't get out of the office fast enough at 4:30 to race to daycare to get my youngest. I felt so guilty that I was making myself have anxiety attacks until I got to him. I felt horrible that I didn't have the proper time to give to my older two in regards to homework or just hanging out. When I got laid off it was a blessing in disguise. I am so much happier now even though we have to be on a crazy budget.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I feel like a better mom now that I'm working. My husband is now a stay-at-home dad and he feels like a better dad. I feel better because I'm doing something productive, but I still get quality time with my daughter. I got really depressed being at home all the time. My husband is happy at home because he has all sorts of projects to do that keep him busy and that he likes to do. It's a way better arrangement for us.
    Anonymous

• No I am a great mom, my kids and I are extremely close, they know I love them. Not too mention, our bills are paid, we have extra's like a pool and nice vacations. For me it is quality time not quanity time. I have no choice but to work, so I make the best of it. There is so much guilt in life....I choose not to participate in it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't, because I know I would be a crappy SAHM, I'm a better mom because I work
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• As much as I LOVE being a SAHM (I was sahm for the first year of her life), I'm not in the same situation now that I was then. I'm now getting a divorce, and anything I do is the only household income. I would LOVE to be more of a part of her day, but also, I need to be working full time in order to provide for her. :/
    Anonymous