What do you do when you encounter a rude person who is waiting on you at the store?

I understand it is a demanding job, I worked in casino buffets for 3 years and there were times when smiling was the last thing I wanted to do! But I always did it because it was my job. The other day i was checking out at a store. I didn't get a greeting from the cashier, even after I said hello. So the cashier proceeds to ring my stuff up without a word, throws the stuff in the bags, and when the total came up, instead of telling it to me, she turned the little screen around so I could see it! So I give her my money, and when she gave me my change, instead of handing it to me, she put it on the counter. No "thank you, have a nice day". So as got my bags, I say to her in a loud voice "Thank you SOO much, you have been MOST helpful!" She just looked at me and I smiled at her and walked away! I usually do that when someone is rude, just to make their day more interesting, maybe a story to tell, "This crazy lady came in today"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm over the top friendly just like you were. I cannot stand cashiers that don't at least acknowledge me and say You're Welcome after I politely thank them for their $hitty service!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have the person get their manager immediately complain right in front of the person about "improper handling of my purchases" and "awful customer service" and "horrible attitude" tell the manager because of all these things I don't feel comfortable supporting a store that tolerates their customers be treated like that and tell them they can keep their merchandise I'll go somewhere that treats me better and walk out.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 12:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I would have looked her in the eye and with the most sincerity I could muster say something like "Gee seems like you must be having a bad day, I really hope things start to get better for you. I really hope you have a good day." I have done this before and it usually snaps the person out of it.... or if nothing else it helps them realize that they are being rude.

Anonymous

• I complain to the manager if I get bad service. What you described was bad service. If someone is just having a bad day you can tell, but if they are just rude, then that is when I complain. I also go talk to the manager if I get great service. Most of the time in big stores the managers have no idea how the cashiers are actually doing their job, so I think it is especially important to sing their praises when I can.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I always assume the best of the other person. Who knows, the casher may have a disability. My local Walgreens actually has a blind and deaf person that works at the cash register sometimes! It doesn't work out well.

Sometimes I have trouble concentrating on a lot of things at once and checking out is a difficult time for me. Cashiers may think I am rude. My son says sometimes they talk to me and I don't even hear because I am so busy concentrating on getting my debit card or whatever.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I get rude back.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 12:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• When that happens, what I FEEL like doing is just leaving all my items on the counter and walking out and tell them a little about themselves right before I let the door close behind me,lol.
    But I think what you did is best. Suck it in,smile nicely and say something nice..in a loud voice,lol.
    I feel like telling them people,hey, if you don't want to work here why dont you get another job!?! Customer service scks so much these days!
    But then I try to tell myself...maybe they are having a bad day or something..that happens too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'd be annoyed by your situation but would let it go unless I wasn't in a great mood myself. then I could see myself just asking her for the total even after turning the screen around, or asking if she can put such and such in a different bag or fold it. Something small to imply I want a better job done. Now if the woman is saying rude things to me, I'll flatly ask if she has a problem or if I have offended her. They don't expect you to call them out so directly and will usually be polite. Once I was in a store and the two people at the front were clearly making rude comments about my MIL so I stood and stared at them the whole time we were in the store. I probably looked crazy but they got the hint and split up! I still stared at the nastier one :P
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 12:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• One turn doesn't deserve another. If the cashier hasn't acknowledged my presence, I will just ask them how their day is going...kill them with kindness, it's what my dad always said. You can't possibly know what that person is going through. Maybe there was a death in the family and if they talk they will break down crying. I have been in customer service for over 15 years, ranging from waitress to hotel front desk, it's hard to ALWAYS have a smile on your face when you have something bad going on outside of work...or even at work. Next time, just ask that person how they are. It's amazing how it feels to know that the customers you're helping actually acknowledge you rather than making you feel like you are beneath them because you are checking out their groceries.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 12:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Complain and write the company.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2010