Low calorie dinner recipes??

Does anybody know of a site where I can get low calorie, or lower calorie, recipes for dinners? Or, does anybody have any suggestions as to how to modify common recipes that I already cook to make them lower calorie?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 12:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• not sure what your eating, but i cook alot of chicken and leaner cuts of beef. I also try to buy lowfat when possible. you can substitute plain yogurt for mayo or sour cream. try to cut out sauces or thin them out...
    Anonymous

• Think 'nutrient-dense' rather than 'low calorie' for two reasons: you won't be trying to starve yourself, which not only can't work, but will make you crazy in the process, and; you'll get the nutrients your body needs, which may be 100% of the reason you're eating more than you need in the first place.

Eat food: things that don't come with a nutrition label because they don't have ingredients. Whole foods, prepared simply... mostly plants.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Thank you, rkoloms. It looks like there are some good options there. Of course, my husband won't allow me to make dinners without meat but those meals major on veges and I need some more recipes like that. I'm changing how we are eating and its hard to come up with variations on plain vegetable sides and a meat. Its really bad because we like casseroles and I'm cutting waaaay back on cheese and milk based sauces. So these look helpful. Thank you.

proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 7:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• daniellecooks.wordpress.com There are all sorts of dietary needs satisfied and a low-fat category.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My secret is cooking with lots of vegetables and sneaking veggies into all of my meals. For every rice dish I make, I add at least two cups of chopped celery, carrots, tomatoes, or onions.

For example, if I make Zatarain's rice, I'll add two cups of celery, or a can of corn.

I mix broccoli florets into pasta, or else add onions, celery, or other soft vegetables.

We eat baked yams instead of baked potatoes--high in fiber, better for you, and delicious!
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• You need to be adventurous in the kitchen and know where to bury the disasters. Nutricional needs have changed dramatically over the centuries. We still need nutrients, but fat and chemicals, no way. I should correct myself... good oils like olive and canola are essential to keep the blood flowing, but trans fats like coconut and palm oils as well as animal fats are a killer. Mousuke ^above makes a good point. People used to live out of their gardens in days gone by. Only type O blood types need a lot of meat to get nurishment and the rest suffer trying to fit in. Fat and sugar, is an aquired taste, much like becoming an alcoholic. That said, it is all about choices and discovering what works best for your body as well as respecting te choices those around you make.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 12:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I buy the italian glazed chicken already prepared. Krogers has them and they're individually wrapped so the flavor stays in them and they're fresher. Just put in the oven and it's done. I also buy (my hubby found these) the frozen veggies by green giant. They come in a box and all you do is take the plastic wrapped pouch out and pop it in the micro for 4 min. Our favorite is the ones with the black beans, snap peas and carrot mixture. Taste better than it looks,lol. It don't look bad, I just overlooked them all the time because it didn't look very flavorful but they're pretty good. Just make sure you have th serving amount suggested on the box so you don't take in more calories than you think.
    christina259

Answer by christina259 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My kids actually get mac and cheese and chicken strips instead. They need the carbs. We don't .
    christina259

Answer by christina259 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010