Puppy Housebreaking Advice!?

My husband and I brought home a new puppy over the weekend (a fluffy white chow mix). I realized afterwards that I have never housebroken a dog before! Our other dog, a Boston Terrier, is a rescue dog who was already trained. I always had dogs growing up, but my parents trained them, and they generally stayed outside anyway. We live in a second floor apartment, so I cannot exactly carry him out on to grass the moment I see him squatting. I bought some puppy pads, but he isn't getting the hang of it. He braced to deficate today, so I set him on the pad. He walked off and continued to go, I put him back, he walked off and continued going on yet ANOTHER spot on my (beige) carpet. Plus, my 16 month old keeps sitting on the pads and dragging them off. HELP!!

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 12:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Pets

• http://www.perfectpaws.com/htrp.html

Here's a good site for step by step tips on training your puppy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Thanks, MrsLeftlane, it does seem like a good site. However, I am not sure that the "paper training" technique would work for our situation.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 12:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Honestly, the puppy pads are a waste of time. All they do is confuse the dog and teach them to go on anything that is left on the floor. I would recommend that you get a crate that will help with the housebreaking. You also need to get the pup on a schedule and be consistant. Feed the pup at the same time every day and take the pup out at the same time. When yo utake the pup out give her a reward everytime she does her business. If she does not go and you feel she still needs to put her back in the crate for about 10 minutes and then take her back out. Another thing to remember is she will have to go 10-15 mintues after she eat,drinks or plays.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• How would confining him to a crate help in housebreaking him?
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 12:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• he will not got to the bathroom in the crate(if it is the correct size). This helps when you can not keep a close eye on them.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I agree 100% with crate training. It is like a den to them. Dogs generally do NOT like to sleep where they potty or vise versa. I also agree with getting him on a feeding schedule. Do not free-feed. Put his food down at the same time everyday for each meal. Give him a few minutes to eat. If he leaves some food, take it away until the next meal. That way, you'll know that 10-15 minutes after he eats, he'll need to go outside. Take him through the same door each time and say "let's go outside" or "let's go potty". When he potties outside, praise him and/or give him a small treat. Take him outside after eating, sleeping, or long playing sessions, and if you can't watch him closely he needs to be in the crate. I have an 8wk old Belgian Malinois I am housebreaking and she is doing great with this method. We've had her for 4 days and she's only had 3 accidents (not her fault though, we didn't get her outside in time)
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Crate, feeding schedule, and Nature's Miracle are the tool box.

Nature's Miracle is an enzyme cleaner that gets the smell out so he won't re-offend in the same spot.

Crates are so good for dogs. They love having their own den-- like a vicious wolf! Crate training now means no destruction while you are away. Crated dogs learn faster and feel more confident. I always crate train my puppies and they are super stars when they have to be baby-sat or we have company.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010