When did you start your baby on food other than formula/breastmilk?

My Annabelle is almost 4 months old. Took her to the dr for thrush about 2 weeks ago and told her that I had just started putting a 1/2 tsp of cereal in her milk at bedtime...she like FREAKED out on me for giving her ANY cereal so soon, but everyone I know has done it way sooner than I had. Anyhow I did stop for the meantime... I'm just curious when you started giving your baby cereal, and was it just a couple spoonfuls a day? Did your baby prefer the oatmeal or rice cereal? Also, when did you start giving them juice? Thanks ladies :) Have a great day, and Happy Easter!

SammyJoB

Asked by SammyJoB at 12:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My boys both started solids after 7 months. We didn't do any cereals because they're nutritionally useless, IMO... but they would have however much of whatever I offered (typically steamed veggies to start, the fruits and then meats) that they could manage to get in on their own. So, not much at first... if any at all.

No juice until they started asking for it (which, the baby can't yet, haha!). My older son (4) is restricted to one small glass a day when I happen to buy it (I usually don't).

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I started Nathan on cereal at 4 1/2 months but he only ate it for 2 or 3 weeks than refused any form of baby food, ped gave us the ok to start on some table foods said it was probably the texture of the food, he's almost 9 months old and we do not give him juice, just water occassionally and formula.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Started DD at 5ish mos, and DS at 8 mos. With DS, we skipped cereal, went straight to veggies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It is best to wait until at east 6 months, and then start with a spoon, and/or finger foods. Even though lots of people give cereal earlier and/or in the bottle, and "my kid is fine" does not mean it is best for your baby. There is some great info on this at http://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-bottles-and-cereal

Based on the lateest research, the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests waiting until 6 months.  I lot of people (including a surprising number of doctors!) choose to ignore this information. I don't really understand why!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I started my dd on cereal at 51/2 months. Earlier than four months is too soon to start cereal because babies have a difficult time digesting it at that age.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You shoul never put cereal in the bottle. If you are going to feed cereal you need to feed it with a spoon. No baby should start solids before 4 months.

I breastfed and started my 3 babies at 6 months or later. Formula fed babies usually start between 4-6 months. No babies need cereal, jar food, puffs, ect. If you wait until they are ready for solids they can eat regular food. They don't need cereal.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is against juice. If you start it after 6 months the most a baby should have is 4 ounces a day. If a baby is big they shouldn't have any at all. Juice drinking is linked to obesity.

Cereal does not make babies sleep through the night. It can make babies constipated.

Anonymous

• Opps, I forgot about the no cereal in the bottle thing, my dd never drank from a bottle so, alot of times I forget all about them. Anyway when you do give your baby cereal it's best to use a spoon not a bottle
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my MIL gave her kids cereal in a bottle as early as 4 wks. yes 4wks. and they were fine, helped them sleep thru the night too. IMO mother knows best.. go with your gut. moniter tho so they dont choke, make sure the hole isnt to small or too big. i personally just started giving my LO cereal in his bottle to sleep thru the night and it worked! he went from 3hrs to 5hrs! woo hoo! but to each her own.
    Anonymous

• My first son had rice cereal at 4 months, he didn't like it very much, he didn't really like any baby food very much. With my daughter I was going to wait until 6 months, but at just barely 5 months old one day I was eating a banana and she was so interested in it that I gave her a little piece (I had read that bananas are a good first food) she loved it so much that I gave her a little food everyday after that. She loved everything, so different than my first. Now I have a 2 month old, once again I'm planning on waiting until 6 months, but we'll see if I can make it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010