rust in formula...

stayed at my mothers house lastnite and had to use a regular can opener bc i left mine at home. well when i opened the formula i seen rust in the formula so i poured the top part that had rust in it out and i used the rest of it. do u think it will be okay to feed my 3 month old son the formula or could rust really harm him? (that is if it did get down in the rest of the formula that i didn't pour out.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a new can.
    Anonymous

• I would toss it all to be safe. You don't want your baby injesting any metal at all. If you're using a pre-mixed liquid formula, then you know the rusty metal sunk down and is mixed throughout the container. If it's powder formula, metal bits still most likely sifted through the container.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I think you should throw it out! Better safe than sorry and rust is danerous for anyone, esp a baby.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Take it back to the store! Formula is to expensive to throw away! :-) I wouldn't feed him anymore of it but I would try to get a refund or an exchange on that can.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 12:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• rust could be really harmful
    Nila_Dom

Answer by Nila_Dom at 1:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Rust is just iron. lol So, people ARE supposed to ingest metal.. just not TOO MUCH metal.

However, the issue is probably not the iron. It's not like it's a heavy-metal. HOWEVER, if rust is in there.. too much MOISTURE is in there. If too much MOISTURE is in there, fungus, mold, bacteria, etc. could be in there in unsafe amounts too. Plus, how did the rust get in there? If rust got -in- what else got -in- ?

I would take the can back to the store you bought it at. Tell them it is rusty, have them check on the other formula too.
    Anonymous

• No. It is contaminated and you have no way of knowing what caused the rust (because it should not be rusty). It might be fine, but it could be seriously dangerous --bet your kid's life?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• get a new can, u dont wanna risk it.
    bri_0110

Answer by bri_0110 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010