if you are a permenant resident of the U.S do you need a visa to go canada?

what do you need to go to canada?

tigernina

Asked by tigernina at 12:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Travel

• :You need a passport, or an enhanced drivers lisence. Which really sucks for me because I live 2 hours form niagra falls and the candian side is so much prettier, but getting a passport is a pain in the butt, and enhanced drivers lisences have a radio chip in them that can track you. So definatly not getting one of those
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/enter_canada.asp

This should help... My hubby is a US Permanent Resident and travels to Canada with his job., he didn't renew his passport and never has any problems.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I was a Canadian citizen who was a Permanent Resident in the US for more than 20 years... I only moved back here about a year ago. If you have a Permanent Resident card-- the reflective kind, with the magnetic strip on the back-- you don't need a passport OR an enhanced DL to go into Canada or back into the US. The Permanent Resident card works the same way.

For the record, the hard part is not getting into Canada. The rules are far more relaxed. The hard part is getting back into the US-- but it's no problem if you have a Permanent Resident card.

Any questions, send me a message... I'm an old hand at crossing the border, and living in both countries :) My son was born in the States so actually has dual citizenship!
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 7:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2010