tracheomalacia in baby

My 3 week old was diagnosed with this yesterday and we have an appointment with the ENT specialist tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has a child that has this condition and what the outcome was.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has tracheomalacia and I have never found anyone of here who's child has it! It typically doesnt cause many problems besides strider (kinda sounds like Darth Vader when they breathe) What made them do the bronchoscopy on him that young? My son has many other problems so I dont know which one's are caused by the tracheomalacia and whats caused by other stuff
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:48 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well last week (2 weeks old) he started breathing really loud and raspy and it was so bad that I took him to the ER. The whole time we were there he was asleep and of course breathing normal, they sent us home and said to just watch him. Yesterday we saw our regular Dr, he spent almost an hour with us just watching and listening to him breathing and had another Dr come in and listen also. They did chest x-rays and set us up with an appointment with the specialist tomorrow but both drs said they are almost 100% sure thats what it is. It scares the crap out of me cause the way he is breathing. How old is your son?
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My DD had it. The doctors explained it would go away on its own and it did. She's 6 months next week and I haven't heard the raspy sound in months.
    I was really scared when they told me but after researching it, my fears were lifted.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Wow, you guys got really lucky to have it caught so early. They wouldnt even check Jaydin for it til he was a year old! Were you guys just told your kids had it or did they actually do the bronchoscopy? Jaydin had 5 hospitalizations his first year of life (he's had 5 more since then) and at 15 months they did the first bronchoscopy where they found tracheomalacia and bronchiomalacia (his right bronchial tube caves in) They did it again when he was 4 1/2 and they found the same thing plus he has spots on his lungs and they cultured the fluid in his lungs and it had lipids in it and the only way to get fat in your lungs is to asperate fluid/food. They did a biopsy of his lung at the last one and they found out that he had HIB which is something that he was vacinated against. He is having a 3rd bronchoscopy on Tues (he is 5 1/2) so hopefully they find that he's getting better but Im not counting on it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I luckily had a doctor who specialized it at my DDs doctors appointment when she was 2 weeks old. I have no idea why she was there THAT day but I went in, asked the doctor why she was breathing like that and she went and got the specialized doctor. They listened to her and diagnosed her. She didn't have a severe case. A couple of months hardened up her trachea.
    I pray your son gets better Jaydin Makenna. Sounds like a strong boy!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Oh so they just diagnosed it by listening to her? She must have had strider or something like that (the Darth Vader type sound) Jaydin wasnt diagnosed just by listening to him... he had a camera put down his trachea so that the doctor could actually see it. He is a very strong boy:) He is sick all the time (well not all the time but every 4-6 weeks) but it never fazes him and he is always so happy! I will let you guys know what the results are from his follow up test on Tues
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• my dtr had it and I haven't heard the stridor in about 2 months (she is 7 months old now)
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 12:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My son has it. He has sooo many problems. Reading about it scares me even more. lol. He has every single symptom mentioned on here. He is such a fighter. HE is 21 months and will be going on for his 2nd broncoscopy the 14th. Scary stuff!!
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2010