Nevus Sebaceous

My son was just diagnosed with having a nevus sebaceous. It is on his forehead and we had contemplated having it removed for cosmetic reasons ... now I'm looking into it further and finding there may be some real complications from the growth itself. Has anybody dealt with these or have any information to share?

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 12:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes!! It is hereditary in my family. My father had one on his temple and it had to be removed in his 40's because it began to change and grow too deeply underneath the skin. I was born with one on my earlobe and had it was removed as soon as it started changing and growing; I was about 7 years old. It's a very simple procedure as long as the growth isn't too deep. Just know that it can grow back at any time. If you do decide to leave it be, just continue to watch it. Mine looked like what the doctors called it: an oily wart. It began to get very dry, flaky and itchy and grow unevenly. Hope this helps!
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I was diagnosed in the 5th grade with having a nevus sebaceous on my forehead. I wasn't born with it, rather it began as a small spec at the base of my hairline and forehead when i was about 7, it wasn't much it looked like a little scar you would get from a cut, however in the span of about 4 or 5 years it grow from there and started down my nose, it was about 2 inches at it's wides point and tapered down, the nevus sebaceous was about 1/2 raised. Though it was no malignant or life threatening, I was informed that if left alone (considering the growth pattern) it could cause lose of vision, sinus problems, or slight nerve damage. For me the most tramatic thing was the cosmetic disfiguration of the Sebaceous. Consider how much it grew in that 5 year span, if I had let it go until know (being 19) it would have more than double in size (not knowing what effect puberty would have on it). I am left with a one inch wide scar...
    HaileyLuAn

Answer by HaileyLuAn at 2:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• spanning from my hairline to corner of my eye, and am so grateful to have had it removed. My surgery was very quick (in and out within about 12 hrs) and simple. Sebaceous' is not malignant so there are no life threatening risks involved but for a young person self esteem I personally believe getting it removed is the best choice. And consider the unpredictable pattern in which the Nevus Sebaceous grow, you don't want to risk vision complications. I know that my Sebaceous was very close to my left eye and had I let it go any further it would have made my surgery more complex and I would have risked blindness in my eye. They only side affect I've seen from the surgery is that my forehead is more sensitive to the touch due to the nerve ending being cut and crossed creating little invisible knots but those can be deaded to make the forehead less sensetive. I wish you luck!
    HaileyLuAn

Answer by HaileyLuAn at 2:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I also want to point out that this was not something that was hereditary in my family. I am the only known case of Nevus Sebaceous in my family history. All things are manageable and I know that your son will be fantastic no matter what choices you make! As for what I said about the Sebaceous effecting a persons self esteem, I do also believe that a person isn't made up of what they look like I whole heartedly believe that people are beautiful based on what they have to offer in terms of their heart, soul, and mind. You can't lose sight of that, it makes everything much easier.
    HaileyLuAn

Answer by HaileyLuAn at 2:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2011