Is it acceptable for a business to offer discounts based on religious preference?

I know of a Christian businessman who offers discounts to other Christians. The business is not religious-based at all.

If you find this practice acceptable, do you also think it's acceptable for a non-associated business to offer discounts solely to other Jewish people? Muslims? Pagans? Atheists?

jellyphish

Asked by jellyphish at 12:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's wrong. It may not be illegal or anything, but it seems wrong. It seems wrong to "reward" any one faith just because you like them more.
    Anonymous

• ITS WRONG!

Discrimination!
    Anonymous

• I guess if its your business you can charge what you want. Its like giving a discount to family and friends.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Very unprofessional and they probably lose customers that way. But I don't see anything illegal about it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• not great business practice, but not illegal
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Does he post "If your Christian you'll get a discount"? if not and he knows the person then whats the difference in his giving a family member a discount or a friend? if he chooses not to make a profit that's his business isn't it?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• "I guess if its your business you can charge what you want. Its like giving a discount to family and friends."

I agree with this, it is the business owner's prerogative.  My question is how would the owner know what a person believes, unless he knows them on a personal level?  And how would one know that they are giving discounts to ONLY those who agree with his beliefs and it is NOT a family and friends type thing?

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Correct me if I am wrong, Jewish people who know others with in their community do this as well as I believe Mormons do this as well. However from what I understand it is usually based on someone they know on a personal level, more than just their belief.  More of a sense of community type thing.  Where there are a lot of them within that community.

Anonymous

• Technically it's discrimination if he is offering the discount based solely on religion. However, it is his business. And there really is no difference between offering the discount based on religion and passing out coupons or membership cards at a church based get together. It isn't something I like to here and I feel it gives this man and others who do it a bad reputation when others find out. But there isn't really much you can do so don't let it bother you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• He can do whay he wants ...and I...as a customer can go where I want..I wouldn't go there...lol
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 3:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010