How On EARTH Is A Mistake Like This Even Possible???

Doctors Induced and Performed Cesarean on Non-Pregnant Woman
DateTuesday, March 30, 2010 at 10:04PMShare325

The Fay Observer reported today that two Fayetteville, North Carolina doctors induced labor and performed a cesarean section on a woman who was not pregnant.

According to the article, a woman "exhibiting signs of pregnancy" walked into Cape Fear Valley Medical Center asking for a cesarean section.

A resident diagnosed her as pregnant. After a "failed attempt at inducing labor," a doctor tried to section her.

One of the two doctors that was issued a public letter of concern by the North Carolina Medical Board commented on the resident in her charge.

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 12:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Geszler said it is not uncommon to see women with false pregnancies but she was surprised the resident was not able to make a correct determination after examining the patient.

"It wasn't something I thought I'd have to check behind somebody on," Geszler said. "The bottom line is the woman convinced everybody she was pregnant."
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• WOW...

Wheres the link it'd be interesting to read up on.

Well it's a resident, so working on being a doc. They aren't going to be getting jobs. wow.
    Anonymous

• dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• LMAO, because Dr. Gezler is a MORON. She delivered my first son and nearly killed us both. I was SO sick at the end of my pregnancy and she told me that I had the flu and heartburn, she then asked me if I knew how many OTHER mothers she had seen that week with the flu and told me THEY weren't in her office every other day complaining. She told me a was nervous under-age first time mother (I was 21) and I should grow up. She also refused to do a physical exam on me because she had big plans that weekend and didn't want to risk being sick.

After 8 hours of labor and uncontrollable bleeding the ANESTHESIOLOGIST diagnosed me with HELLP syndrome, a rare disorder that is would have been easily diagnosed if she had done a blood test. THEN the woman lied to me and said it was pre-e, which I later got threatened with a fraud lawsuit by my new insurance company and I am still uninsurable because of her.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Anyway...sorry to rant but I despise the woman. I was however surprised, I mean doing a c-section on a woman who wasn't pregnant must have been a new low even for her.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I thought that someone was playing an April's Fool joke.

This didn't happen at a private Dr's Office. For God's Sake this is a Medical Center where MANY doctors, nurses, students, etc. get to observe you. The more I read it the more I don't believe it.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My husband staffed a Neurosurgeon there last year... Small world.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Whatever happened to doing a ultrasound??? Duh.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• What blows my mind is this a hospital not McDonalds! Some random woman just walks in off the street and asks for a c-section with no medical history or doctor and she actually manages to get admitted into L&D? The last time I went to Cape Fear IN labor with WET pants on the triage nurses didn't even believe my water had broken lol.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Unreal!!!!

Answer by older at 1:57 PM on Mar. 31, 2010