What age did you get your child/teen a cell phone?

How old is your kiddo now and at what age did you get them a cell phone?
I have two small kidos and I'm just cuious about what teh furture holds lol
I dont think i got my cell phone til I was 18 or 19 on my own but I am 29 now.

LoganAndKennedy

Asked by LoganAndKennedy at 1:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I got my own when I was 18. I plan on getting my daughter a prepaid phone when she gets her driver's license to be used for emergencies and such. She won't have her own to chat on until she can buy one herself.
    Anonymous

• I got a cell phone when I was 16. I had a job, and I paid for it. My parents never "gave" me a cell phone. If I wanted one, I had to buy it myself and pay the bill. As did my older sister, and my older brother...and my little brother who is 16 and has a job and pays for his own cell phone. I think I'll get my kids that thing, it's like a cell phone, but they can only call 911 and home or something like that this phone : http://www.mytictalk.com/Main/index_Cingular.jsp Its so only certain numbers can call or be called....but until they have a job and can pay for a cell phone...that's what they'll have. I'd like to be able to get ahold of them when I need to and them to be able to get ahold of me when they need to, in case of emergencies and such. But no cell phone where they can text and send naughty pics all day without me knowing. There under 3yrs old now, but they grow up so fast!
    Anonymous

• Mine will get one when they can pay for it.
    Anonymous

• I didnt get my first cell until i was 22 but back then they were just becoming a common thing. My son is 12 and just got one, I picked him up from soccer one night to find out there had been issues with other players and the coach had done nothing about it, my son had gotten sick during practice and kids were making fun of him, I had only left the field for 20 minutes to run my other son to scouts. When I got back to the field and found out what happened I went and picked up a $10 pre paid phone, he only has it when he is at soccer and I am not there otherwise it stays with me. It is a emergency phone only and the numbers are preprogrammed and i have blocked all other numbers.

At this age a emergency phone is okay IMO but anything else is nuts, I see 2nd and 3rd graders with cell phones talking on them after school and i have to wonder why they have phones.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My son had one at 7 (he's 10 now) but its not for his social networking,lol..its for emergiencies and so I can reach him at a friends house, the park,when he used to walk with his friends to school,going up to the rec ctr..whatever. I'm a bit of a paranoid when it comes to knowing where he is all the time,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• We got our ds a cellphone (Blackberry Curve) when he was 8. It was kept in our room unless we were going somewhere such as the mall, a park, ect, then he wore it on his hip in case of an emergency. He also took it on the weekends he went to his bio dads to be able to reach us if needed. He never had random access to it for pleasure.

Now that he is 10.5, we let him have it in his room. He can call his friends (he has 1) with our permission and talk for 5 or 10 minutes, text the grandparents and text us in the house instead of yelling though the house. It still is not used as a luxury item.

Mostly he and I just text back and forth. I have hearing loss and if I'm not wearing my hearing devices it is much easier to text instead of trying to talk from upstairs to downstairs and such.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 1:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I didn't. My kids got jobs and bought their own phones, including the pay-as-you-go minutes until they were old enough to get their own contracts.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I didn't buy any of my kids a cell phone. They got their jobs after high school and pay for their own in college.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't plan on buying my kids (13, 11, 4). If they want phones they will have to wait until they are old enough to get a job and pay for it themself, and be responsible to pay whatever bills they rack up on the phones.
    Anonymous

• Amen, anonymous!
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 4:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2010