Is the babies two week appointment really necessary?

We dont have medical coverage (hubby lost his job) so I am trying to save money where I can. I just had a baby last week and need to schedule his two week healthy baby check up. Is it really necessary to go? Is it something we can skip?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my twins were born they went once a month for 2 months now its every other month
    Nila_Dom

Answer by Nila_Dom at 1:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Depends on the health of the child. We needed it because my daughter had been loosing major weight from her inability to nurse. We needed to know if her weight was finally going up.
    Anonymous

• If your baby had any issues with excessive weight loss, jaundice or anything, it's important to go. They'll most likely just weigh & measure, but you can call & ask a nurse about it. Tell them about your situation and see what they can offer you for options. You can usually save money on that type of appt by getting the baby checked out at the city or county health dept.
    Our insurance covers check-ups, but we have to pay the cost of all actual treatments (every vaccine) so we take the girls to the regular dr for check-ups, then the health dept and spend $15 per shot instead of $100. The health dept can also weigh & measure them and check iron & lead levels.
    You can look into WIC if you will be within the income limits since dh isn't working. People on here are always bashing WIC and assistance, but that's why it is there. I don't feel ashamed to use public health clinics when we need them at all.
    Anonymous

• Im the OP....We are on WIC. They did my babies shots for $10 a shot instead of at the hospital where it would be more. I didnt even think to take him in there for his check up. I should call and find out. So far my son hasnt had any problems...he is gaining weight rapidly...he nurses extremely well. He was slightly jaundiced, but his color has returned to normal and he looks great. I figured when I schedule his circumcision he will also be checked out then.
    militarygirl83

Answer by militarygirl83 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I always thought it was important so that they can check th ebaby to make sure that everything is developing okay and that they are not jaundiced because that can be dangerous if let go.
    Since your hubby lost his job, can you apply for healthy start or medicaid for the baby? Once you apply, they pay for everything up to 3 months back from the date you applied.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i would def. go. you never know with little ones. try and get help from the state (medicaid)
    bri_0110

Answer by bri_0110 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010