What is so wrong with chicken nuggets?

Please can someone tell me why this is the worst food you can give your kids, I dont get it.. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think hot dogs are worse, but it's because they have a lot of chemicals put into them and are just processed crap. I wouldn't say they're the worst, but they don't have much nutritional value, either.
    Anonymous

• Read the label.
    Anonymous

• it depends where you get em' and how they are made. mcdonalds nuggets for example...are not great at all...but if you're talking about like tyson nuggets made with chicken breast....thats sooo much better...
    Anonymous

• Supposedly, even mcdonald's ones are chicken breast white meat now though. The fact that the are fried is the main problem. Too much fat and salt.
    Anonymous

• they're all processed meat. go buy a breast, cut it up, bread it and then bake it.

the labels say "mechanically separated meat"

even mc donalds chicken nuggets are chicken meat cut up then smashed back togehter into shape - how do they get it to stick together? with a filler.

then they're DEEPFRIED! even the frozen ones you bake yourself are flash fried - in OIL

Anonymous

• I dont see anything wrong with them and my kids eat them all the time. They are healty children at their weight the docs say they should be.
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 1:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• They're deep-fried and have way too much added sodium and fat. Burgers are actually better because they're grilled. Not much, and definitely not healthy...but better than nuggets.

Homemade nuggets are probably better, because you get rid of the extra badness that way...but they're still fried.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Like with anything...too much is bad for you. I don't think chicken nuggets are so awful, I'm sure there are certain brands that you can buy that have worse ingrediants or whatever.
    I like to make mine from chicken breasts, I cut them into strips and I know what the brading consists of and I usually bake them..althoguh the SO prefers me to deepfry them...I think he would deepfry just about anything,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:25 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• everything in moderation
    Anonymous

• LOL...they're not wrong, if you as a parent think they are ok to serve to your child. You are not obligated to feed your children based on what a bunch of Nosey Nellies have to say on cafemom.

And not all are "deep-fried". Some are baked.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010