how do u get a newborn to stay awake durn the day and sleep at night?

ilovebaby1993

Asked by ilovebaby1993 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have to grow into that. Just like every milestone, you can't force it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You can't. It's a long hard road, but they usually grow out of it by 3 months. Good luck!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My mom came over and would bug my newborn all day like pick him up and talk to him and rub his back (even tho he would stay asleep) but after the first month he knew to be awake during the day and sleep at night.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• when my son had day/night mixup, during the day I opened the blinds, had the tv/radio on normal volume, talked on the phone, ran the kitchen appliances, vacuum, washer/dryer...etc. like normal, sang to him, read to him, played with him, took him outside...then come naptime/bedtime the volume was lowered or turned off, lights were low, didnt run any appliances, if he needed a bath he'd get one, and I'd rock him in the glider while humming or reading a book and lay him down and turn on the mobile. It took a while but he eventually got the idea!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Why would you want to? You're supposed to let them sleep when they are tired. Eventually they will get their days and nights on schedule, you just have to hang in there.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 2:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You can help them transition by interacting with them in more stimulating ways and keeping them awake longer during the day, and keeping lights dim and less stimulating interaction with them at night. Cosleeping also helps babies to associate night with sleeping.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Heh heh heh...wait a couple of months.

There are SOME external things you can do.; Live daytime life as you always have. Curtains or blinds open, shades up to let the sunshine in, and don' ttiptoe around the house. Usual daytime noises. Quiet and dim at night.

Otherwise...you just have to wait.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You need to be patient.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• lmao. sorry i know how u feel, i just recently got my little one to sleep 5 hours in a row this past week! but honestly they will adjust themselves. one thing that helped me tho was the johnsons bedtime bath stuff, knocks my lil guy right out! but i agree co-sleeping does help (if u are comfortable with that)
    bri_0110

Answer by bri_0110 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OMG!! dont do that!! They grow when theyre sleeping.. Its messes them up more in the end. Wait it out, it sucks. Usually 3 months and they grow into a more "normal" schedule..
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 10:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010