What is going on with my daughter???

My daughter wakes up around 7am every morning and has basically the same schedule daily. She naps around 11 to 12 for an hour or so, and when it comes to bedtime she has always gone to bed around 8pm. I will get her to bed by 8 but she wont fall asleep most nights till 10 or 11pm. It doesn't matter if she has spent the whole day playing outside or not. We've also tried not giving her a nap and still she goes to bed so late. I do not want to feel like I need to give her medicine to get her to go to bed so please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try putting her to bed even earlier. Some kids reach a point where they are over-tired and they have trouble relaxing to sleep. If you keep the same quiet routine every night (like take a bath, put on jammies, read a book, rock for a minute and then lay down) she might have an easier time processing everything that happened during the day and be able to sleep earlier and more soundly.
    Anonymous

• My son was the same way i just had to keep reinforcing it. Stick to your schedule and she will learn. I know it is hard, my son still try's to fight sometimes he goes to sleep immediately sometimes it takes and hour or more. 4 hours though talk to your pediatrician see what they think about it. Not sure how old your daughter is my son is only 19 months though.

mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OP here- My daughter is almost 3. At 7pm nightly she gets a bath, then we read books before bed. If I put her to bed at 7pm then she will nap for 30 minutes, wake up and be up till 1am or so. It's so weird I know.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• when she wakes up at one have you tried waiting 15 mins before going to get her i know it sounds bad but as long as you listen and make sure she is okay cry for 15 mins won't hurt her. she may go back to sleep.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Try shortening her nap during the day to half an hour.
    Anonymous

• Strangely, the better she sleeps during the day, the more easily she'll fall asleep at night. Particularly when they're little and have few stress-relieving strategies, being overwhelmed by the stimulation of the day makes falling asleep really, really hard.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• She has grasped the basic's of diciplining herself and just something she will have to perfect. In the meanwhile....There are a zillion of us out here jealous of all that energy.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 4:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i agree with linda! when my daughter takes a good nap during the day and sleeps kinda late ( 9 is) in the morning, she actually goes to sleep better in the evening. my daughter has ALWAYS stayed up late ( im talking like eleven is early for her). since i started letting her sleep more during the day, she falls alseep sooner at night. good luck!!!!!!!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 6:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• my daughter did that to,i just moved her bed time up so she gets an hour longer with us,becouse of the time change.also it helps if u do an activity with her befor bed to settle her down.we play and read to our almost 2yr old daughter and she goes right to sleep
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010