Anyone heard of using olive oil warmed with garlic to cure ear infections?

A mom took her 2 year old off Augmentin after one day (because he hated the taste) for a double ear infection, and is now inserting this concoction into his ear canals as a substitute.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• anon 2:30 here. I googled it and AskDrSears.com lists it as a treatment. Next time my kid has an ear infection, I will ask our Dr about trying it.

Anonymous

• I've heard of warm olive oil for earaches.

Answer by Bmat at 2:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I've heard of olive oil to ease discomfort, but not to cure it and not with garlic. The mom should check with her Dr., maybe there is a different flavor for the augmentin.
    Anonymous

• garlic is a natural antibiotic never tried it myself though so other than the theory of it, no idea if it works
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 2:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I use garlic and olive oil to treat earaches. Garlic is a natural antibiotic as someone else mentioned. Our dr is a naturopath and this is what he prescribes for ear infections.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• anon 2:30, thank you. OP here. Just checked it out. There's a warning to not use the drops if there's oozing/pus which there is in this boys left ear.
    Anonymous