What would you do if your child hit you out of anger?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have put them in time out. Talked to they why we do not hit and if they ever hit again they will go in time out again.
    Anonymous

• time out, go down to his level and remind him hitting out of anger isnt nice and to use his words instead.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Depends on the age and the circumstance. My son was about 4 years old when he was acting up in daycare and I was kneeling down talking to him about his behavior when he screamed, hauled off and hit me in my face, knocking my glasses off and breaking them. I put him in time out immediatley and when we went home he wasn't allowed outside to play and we talked about it later on.
    About a year ago, at the age of 9 he thought he was Mr.Tough guy or something and pulled his fist back at me like he was going to hit me,I snatched him up and busted his rear end.I told him no matter how big he gets I will always be able to kick his ass,LOL.(its funny now, thinking back on those words) but he has never done that again. We did talk about the situation later on when things calmed down.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Agree with the previous posters, allowing this will mean being abused or disrespected later on.

Answer by older at 2:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I would discipline, but also, check where they learned it from.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 2:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well they are throwing temper tantrums and 'hitting' because right now is a crucial age of how to learn to control their emotions. With my 2 year old daughter whenever she does this I tell her big girls dont act like this lets go sit in time out until you can realize this is a no-no. Then after 5 mins of timeout I tell her to come here and we sit down and I tell her that hitting is a no-no and big girls dont act like that. Then she gives me a hug and kiss and is usually sweet towards me the rest of the day. hope this helps. They usually act that way because they don't know how to handle or deal with their emotions!
    j_21408

Answer by j_21408 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It has happened, and when it does we have to talk about why it happened. My children are still young, but they need to understand that hitting comes with consequences. I don't think it's right to just punish them for the action though because the emotion behind the action is what really needs to be addressed and they need to learn how to react when they are confronted with those feelings. Now, if they were to hit me out of temper, that's a little different... Because they do also need to learn that tantrums will not get us anywhere in life. When this is the case, they sit for a min. and calm down and then we talk about what happened and why and what should be done about it... generally, they have all the answers they just have to learn to slow down and listen.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010