What can cause a tender scalp? What does skin cancer feel like?

My scalp is very tender lately, and for some reason I keep wondering if it could be skin cancer. I really have nothing to base this on - it's just a feeling I have. What might cause a tender scalp? What does skin cancer feel like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Health

• Your scalp can be tender due to your hair roots. If you've been wearing your hair put up or pulled back or parted at a different spot then your roots can be hurting.

Skin cancer doesn't hurt or feel differently. I had a skin cancer removed from my back 4 years ago. It looked like a freckle and didn't feel like anything at all. Some skin cancers can itch. Skin cancer on the scalp would have a small spot (like freckle or mole), but a large portion wouldn't be tender or uncomfortable.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:45 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OP here - Thanks! I do have a family history of skin cancer as well as many of the risk factors (pale skin, burn easily, 3rd degree sunburn as a child, etc.) Can you tell me what made you suspect you had skin cancer or how it was discovered?
    Anonymous

• I have fair skin and freckle. I have had many severe burns in my life even though I've always used sunscreen because my parents had a boat and I was in the sun a lot. So, when I was 29 I decided to see a dermatologist. My plan was to get a screening done so later in life if any of my freckles changed I would know it. It was supposed to be a routine screening and the dr found a skin cancer on my back. She removed it in the office. It left a gross scar, but she got all the cancer out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:59 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It looked no different than my other freckles.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Thanks! I guess I'm over-due for a screening myself. I'll ask my general practitioner for a referral to a dermatologist next time I go in. I need to set a good example for my kids who will also be at high risk for skin cancer, as they will be getting it from both sides. My MIL actually had a pretty/deep severe cancer on her face that left her with a horrible scar.
    Anonymous