My son doesnt love me...

My son is 5 years old and will flat out tell me he doesnt love me, he likes me! And he isnt saying it out of anger like kids do! I dont know what to do! He has always prefered to be with anyone else but me, like staying the night at grandma's and anywhere else. He is more of a daddys boy, but why in the world doesnt he love me? I have alway been here for him , I get him what he wants, and I have done all the right things! I know I am more of the discipliner, but can that really make him not want to be with me at all? The other day my husband left to go to the store and my son started crying "please dont live me here with mama" It is breaking my heart, I just dont know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Boys get like that. Don't worry. He'll come around.
    Anonymous

• could be from someone teasing him. I was like that when i was a kid. My dad and mom teased the hell out of me about being "in love" with ernest...from ernest goes to camp. They would always say.."shay loves ernest" and make kissy noises. It really messed with me. I never would tell ANYBODY i loved them. I would never give anybody a hug or a kiss goodbye. Them doing that made me hate the thought of showing affection towards anyone or anything.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Do you ever play with him or just have fun? Take him to do fun things outside of the house? I don't know if thats normal or not because my dd is only 1 1/2. Hugs mama!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i've also heard that boys just get like this. my father in law tells me "there will be a day..."... meaning, there will be a day when he won't want to cuddle up to mamma cuz it's not what MEN do. hahaha i dunno.
    Anonymous

• I've also heard of a lot of boys being like that toward their mother. My husband told me when he was younger he use to avoid his mom like the plaque. He wouldn't even sit behind her seat in the car, because that was "too close." lol.
    Anonymous

• He's playing you like a fiddle. IGNORE him the next time he says such a thing. You can say "That's really too bad, because I love you." and drop it.
    Don't feed it. He thinks its fun. Its a game to him.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 4:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm going with mrsderekjeter. (cool name btw! lol)
    Kids this age pick up on stuff like that so easily and if they know it bothers you, it will be all the more fun. Try her suggestion and see how it goes. If it doesn't get better, there may be another answer that you want to try. Good luck and hugs mama!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• He's 5, do you really think he knows what he's saying?
    Anonymous

• i don't think a 5 year old really knows what the word means. My 5 year old tells me he loves me but I think it is an automatic response caused by me telling him I love him. I like a pp answer about telling you love him and leave it at that. When my son gets mad at me he tells me "I don't like you anymore" so I tell him, "Well I like you!" And getting him what he wants isn't always the best thing and may be the cause of his acting like this. Maybe he thinks if he says he doesn't love you, you'll buy him something to try and "buy his love."
    Anonymous

• I don't think he really knows what he is saying. Why don't you spend some good quality one on one time with him....go out and do some fun stuff together.

Oh, to the posters saying boys are like that...that's crap. it just sounds like he and mommy need to reconnect.
    Anonymous