Am I the only person who dislikes their teenager?

I know it sounds horrible! I love him with all my heart, I just don't like him. He is rude to everyone in the family and has a terrible attitude! He has very little respect for anyone or anything unless he wants something. I know this is just a "teen" thing but I was wondering if I am the only parent who feels this way about their child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I love my teens. I like them most of the time. But yes, there are times that I don't like them. And there are times that they don't like me. And that's ok - we don't have to like each other all the time, because we're human, and humans that live together and interact with each other are going to get irritated with each other sometimes. They are going to not like each other so much sometimes. BUT - we are NOT allowed to treat each other with disrespect, even if we are mad or not liking each other at the moment.

My ds had a few months where he was very upset with us, because we were transferring and he didn't want to leave his gf. He was quite the jerk, and, frankly, I didn't like him very much. But I loved him, and treated him in a loving manner, and we got through it.

Yes, teens are moody, etc - but I would NOT put up with the rude and disrespect stuff.

gl!
    btw - mine are 17 and 16 in a few weeks.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My mother felt that way about me when i was there and it showed. I'm not completely innocent but her attitude made things worse. I ended up moving out with my boyfriend when i was 15 and i didn't speak to her for 4 years. She had three other kids besides me that lived there into their 20's.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• You do know that as the parent, you hold the power to fixing that, right? Yes, teens can and are assholes at times, but they are still kids and like all kids, they test their boundaries. He's doing it because he can get away with it. You recognize that he's only nice when he wants something, so enforce that he will not get ANYTHING until he proves he can be nice all the time. Good luck, don't give up on him hon. Try putting him in counseling if you haven't already. There may be an issue with him that is being overlooked.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't know..my teenagers are nice & respectful.
    Anonymous

• nope my mom doesnt like me either... and the way u described ur son basically describes me..i cleaned up my act a bit after i had my daughter tho..so no your not the only mom who doesnt like their teen and believe me your son isnt the only teen who doesnt like u or his family =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 4:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Nope. My mother disliked and had a hard time dealing with my teenage sisters so she sent them to me for a while they both did great with me but when she was ready to take them back I was mad. When she did take them back they both ended up dropping out of high school and getting pregnant. I think its just hard to deal with unruly teens, you shouldn't feel bad.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have one of those too! But we have had a major attitude adjustment this week. I sat my 16 yo dd down and spelled it out, everything was on the table, from her treatment of her younger sister and us, attitude about school and some of the choices she has made lately concerning boys. It went on for about 2 hours, yelling, screaming, crying, laughing, hugging, you name it we did it. We both cleared the air and am hoping to have turned the corner and the girl I like is coming back! I'm sure she doesn't always like me, went through her phone and that didn't go over too well! But I have taken back my house and there is a peaceful feeling that has been missing for a while. I think some where in all the fighting we know we are doing something right.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It is not a teen thing. He's a product of his raising.
    Anonymous

• I should also add - my kids are, 95% of the time, nice, respectful, people. So it is possible for you to fix this :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Nope you are not alone, I love my DS 16 with all my heart although there are times I do not like him at all. I think it is a teen thing always trying to push the limits. This to shall pass. Good luck momma!
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010