Micro chips? (also posted in health)

I heard that the new healthcare bill may require us to have our health records on implantable microchips. I don't really keep up with this stuff but does anyone know anything about this? I'd like to know the whole story. I'd rather not be tracked like a dog. I think it sounds like the beginning of something really bad.

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I've not heard that....but i think that'd be pretty useful. Say if you were unable to tell them you have a certain condition/are pregnant/taking this tablet etc.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• A dog's microchip doesn't track the animal...it has all of its identifying information implanted so that a shelter can find you and reunite you with your pet.

Likewise, a health microchip could be like a LifeAlert bracelet...so if you're in an accident and are unconscious, the attending medic can scan it and see that giving you a certain med would create a fatal anaphylactic reaction and thus would choose a safe med for you. It would include your identifying information so your family can be told that you've been transported to Mercy Hospital. And it allows for instant access to your medical records so the doctors in the ER can see your blood type and your whole medical history.

It won't TRACK you as in telling people where you are.

If you don't want to be tracked...never get a smartphone with GPS. THAT can tell people where you are.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It's the mark of the beast! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I can see the possible uses for a chip like this, HOWEVER -- there ain't no way in HELL I would allow this to be done on myself or any of my family. It's just not gonna happen. I think the people would protest even MORE than they are now, if this were required. Who knows, though, it COULD be in there, I haven't read the WHOLE thing yet, just parts of it. And I don't really like what I HAVE read so far.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well, I have read that RFID chips have been implanted VOLUNTARILY by some people who CHOSE to do so. I have NOT read anything in the latest HCR "Law" saying about needing such chips. I HAVE read about electronic records and Identification systems but none have mentioned RFID chips.

I would just like to say IF that were to ever happen under ANY president I wouldn't allow it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I like Taiwan's idea, a health ID card that has the chip on it. That way you have a certain level of control on who gets the information. Just carry it with you at all times and if an emergency occurs they'll still be able to access your medical history right there.

But Crissy is right, there's nothing about implanting RFID chips (or other microchips) into people in the health care bill.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• "I like Taiwan's idea, a health ID card that has the chip on it. That way you have a certain level of control on who gets the information. Just carry it with you at all times"

Murphy's Law being what it is...I'd lose the card. I actually LIKE the idea of a chip. Very Star Trek. The less I have to carry, the better for me.

But I;'m not overly concerned about privacy. I have no illusions that I have any in a world with more than one person in it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It will be a cold day in Hell before they get one of those chips into me or my children.
    Anonymous

• If it becomes required for us to have anything implanted...I'll move out of the country.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 5:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Smith & Wesson and I will make a few implants of our own before my family gets an implant. There is in way they would be able to keep it just to medical records! They just don't have it in them. Look what happened with Social Security numbers.

Besides, those chips are now being assoiated with an increaed risk of cancer in cats and dogs.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2010