what are you going to tell your children about porn..especially girls...

how are you going to tell them that their boyfriends may look at it, would you tell them their father does, and how will you explain that it in no way reflects how beautiful they are.. how will you tell your boys about it and how it may affect their future wives? because i do not know what to tell my girls... how do i tell them so they will not get their hearts broken when they first find out how much men enjoy it,..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• how old are these girls?
    often by the time a parent goes to tell their kid something, the kid already knows about it anyway. not saying you shouldn't talk to them at all, but I suppose if you feel they are old enough, Id start by asking them if they have heard about something called porn.
    if they have, ask them what they know. then go from there.
    Anonymous

• i will just tell my son its dirty movies and that its fake and none of that stuff is what women are really like that they are all acting
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• that's a pretty good idea! thanks
    Anonymous

• Well, hopefully by the time porn comes up in a conversation, I will know what to say. I know boys get curious more than girls about that stuff....but it's all airbrushed....and not real. My parents never talked to me about it, and I never ended up with a complex about it. So, we'll see when the time comes, I suppose.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 6:58 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Its a movie for adults about adult things. Its meant as entertainment not reality just like regular movies they watch.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have mixed views on pornography. On one hand I lean towards it is exploitative of (mainly) women. And for sure most pornography does depict women as objects and not as a person. On the other hand there are many well respected people who say it can be a very healthy outlet and a away to jump start your own sex drive. So....a thoughtful discussion of the ins and outs of the world of porn will be had. But more from the feminist approach and philosophy. A discussion not a sermon of just my views. As far as the "especially" girls - no matter to me if that is male of female teen or adolescent (depending on how and when the conversations take place). I my thoughts about pornography do not have anything to do with the gender of my children. I view this as an ongoing conversation not just a one time deal. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I know this is not a popular opinion on this site.... but in our family we are teaching our children that porn exploits women and is wrong. Honestly, I wish it would be banned.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:44 PM on Mar. 31, 2010