sex ed without permission.

I posted this in a different forum but now I want Christian opinions. My daughter is 10 and is starting to bud (boobs) well anyway I am breaking her in slow but sure about her the development of her repoductive system eventually tellling her completely about sex and why she should wait. One day my daughter came home and told me information I was not ready for her to know yet, which as now put me in the position to give her more information than I think she needs right now. Needless to say I confronted the school and they said sorry for the confusion they did not know that the lesson gave such graphic info.
As a Christian mom how would you handle the"talk" with your daughter so early? I am the kind of parent that believes a child her age should be more focused on self-image and confidence not sex. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did not mean to post anon.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• 10 is not too early to give "the talk". It's actually the perfect age since kids are starting to have sex earlier and earlier. Best for her to know now, and know how best to avoid getting pregnant or getting STDs or even just plain getting pressured into having sex. She's going through puberty- what better time to talk to her about her body and the different urges and feelings she's going to be having, and how best to deal with them?
    Anonymous

• I agree that 10 is not too early to have the beginnings of "the talk", there are 10 year olds giving birth
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• 10 is the average age that they start education children on sex-ed. Her being educated about it will help her make wise decisions, especially since it seems as though she has an open relationship with you. You want that. You want her to be able to come talk to about anything and everything without fear or shame, because trust me, if she's not learning it from you or the school, she will be learning other ways. Not speaking ill of your daughter by any means, but that's just human nature and how children are. The school should have informed you of the class so that you would be able to prepare her for it the way you would have liked to, though. I remember when I had sex-ed, I was sent home with a permission slip. Even in highschool when I watched the birth video, I needed my mom's permission. It sounds like you're doing a good job though and don't have anything to worry about. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Does a Catholic/Episcopalian POV count?

My mom gave me the info on my development before I was seven. She did it because SHE started menstruating at age eight and didn't want me caught by surprise and scared as she had been. I don't think it's too early. I do think you should have been told it was coming, though. My son just did his "growth and development" unit at school and we were given the opportunity to review the materials beforehand. In fact, they had three separate meetings for that.

It's hard to say anything in your case because you're not clear about what you weren't ready for her to know. Did you know the sex ed was coming at all? Were you given an opportunity to review materials?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:32 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I did not know it was coming.
    I could deal with the menustration part, but not the sperm and impregnation part. I had a way I wanted to explain that.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I did not start until i was 12. I figure I had at least 1 more year to baby her. I guess not! LOL
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Maybe you feel 10 is early. I know I did not get sex ed in school until I was 15. However with the way statistics look our kids may one day be learning this in 2nd grade. However no it is not to early. It is the perfect age and she may have already known a few things before if not you are lucky. My friends 12 yr old dd knew what anal and oral were at 9. A few friends stole a porno. So really once they hit pubuty they should be old enough to learn. Also I fully do promote abstinence teaching, so if your issue is with the sex ed prevention and not necessarily the age. I would say even though I do promote abstinence we can not neglect to as well teach about sex ed and preventative methods. If we do this we could cause some real issues. If you haven't seen a life time true story called the Pregnancy Pack you should It is a perfect example of what I mean. Good Luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I'm not sure why the school wouldn't  know that the lesson was too graphic. Lessons are gone through before they are taught.

In our school district there is a parents sex ed night, so the parents will know what the school is teaching  This is done for several reasons.  One parents have different ideas of what should be taught and the school doesn't want anyone surprised. Also the kids might come home asking questions so it's good to know how the school approached the topics.

I don't think 10 is too young for sex ed, but I don't think that's what the poster is saying, just that the material was too graphic.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Hey I hit puberty at 6 and my mother told me nothing but it was normal.  I had to learn to deal with it all by myself, until about the 4th grade when a teacher stepped in and got me into a class.

Anonymous