Is this too long to wait for an apartment?

My SO moved into a 1 bdrm apartment, and now we need a two bedroom for us and my 1 1/2 year old. I put the application in and it's been almost three weeks. I've called the lady twice and she says she has to hear back from her area manager to get it approved. She even waited a whole week just to fax it over. Should I be angry or keep calling, or just wait it out? I've never done this before.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 4:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think waiting less than a month is a big deal. I've seen people waiting six months for housing before.
    Anonymous

• Are you in low-income or military housing? If it's just a local apartment complex I don't understand why they couldn't just look up their records and tell you if they have a 2-bedroom available or not.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't be angry but I'd keep calling. Have you SEEN a larger apartment available? Give them that apartment number.

If there's a waiting list, though, you may wait QUITE a while.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• There are definitely apartments available. She looked up our records but said they don't like switching people from one bedroom apartments to bigger ones, but the three of us cannot live in the one bedroom. I just don't know why she can't call and get it approved.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 4:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Is this a private apartment building or some form of governmental housing? If it's private they should be DELIGHTED to move you to a larger...i.e. MORE EXPENSIVE...unit. If governmental...go up the chain of command because this could become a CPS issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Although...one more thought. Would she move you if you were MARRIED? That might be the problem...lack of a license might make you ineligible for a larger apartment in some places.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Well, then yes I would be PISSED. I would be calling daily lol.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• No, it doesn't matter if we're married. and I thought they would be happy to move us since it would be $200 more in their pockets. I'm going to call again tomorrow.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 4:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• When I lived in an apartment and requested the same thing, they told me I couldn't make the upgrade until my lease was done with the apartment that I was already in and that I would be put on a list for one of the bigger apartments. Hope this helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010