parents who take their kids to the park and then just sit in the car?

where we used to live, we always walked to the park and it was wonderful but now we live somewhere where we have to drive to the park.

anyway, about every time we go, there will be parents who pull up, 2 to 5 kids climb out and go play and the parent/s stay sitting in the car! i love taking my son to the park and spending time outside w/ him.

now the kids are usually at an age where they don't need much supervision but i just don't understand how they could prefer to sit in the car (often on the phone) rather than like on the bench or at a picnic table...????

what do you think? do you do this? sometimes i think, well maybe they were about to be driven crazy by their kids and needed a break, or needed a private conversation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I dont.

BUT.... I did one time go knock on the window of a car and tell the woman she needs to come parent her kid because he was tormenting all the little kids..... wouldnt ya know ~ it was the nanny.

Anonymous

• I would do it when my kids get older. I think the park is boring and as long as my kids are entertained and im watching them, it seems fine. Maybe the car is comfortable then the benches.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• When my daughter gets older, I'd probably like to get an hour to myself in the car once in a while.
    Anonymous

• I don't do that either but I could see how some might if they have older kids...at least they stay there at the park with them and don't just drop them off,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• yes, i usually hold my conference calls in the car while the kids play and i do not want to be disturbed.
    Anonymous

• I would prefer to either play with my kids, or sit on the bench and watch them. The car gets uncomfortable if you're not driving, so I wouldn't see why you'd want to be in it for that hour anyway. Most parents only take their kids to the park because the kid wants to go. If the kid didn't ask to go, then the parent wouldn't take them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My daughters are 10 & 12 and yes, I have sat in the car while they are at the park playing. Either because I need to make a call that I don't want everyone in the park to hear or because I just need some time to myself. They are old enough to handle themselves and I can always see them, even while in my car. They aren't at an age where I am actively "playing" with them or pushing them on swings like you would do with a little one so I don't really see anything wrong with it. Often I will sit on a bench or picnic table but honestly, when they want to go to the park (and often bring a friend or two) it IS very boring for me.
    Anonymous

• I don't take mine to the park and never did, that's why I have a nice big yard. I have always found parks way to boring. I played in the yard with them when they were little but not when they got older.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 5:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have a 3 and a 4 year old, I'm the kind of MOM who likes to climb and run around w/my kids, I slide w/them and play. I see a lot a parents who they just sit there and see their little ones getting run over by the older kids. I allways take my kids but this last week my Inlaws came over form out of town they toke the kids to the Park and my 4 year old came home w/a crape on her knew and her cheek on her face, my inlaw said an older teen girl run into her didn't even say sorry. I hate ot when the parents just sit there and don't become part of their kids life at the park. I was upset I stayed home instead of being there guarding my child.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't sit in the car either. I sit on the bench. I like to just watch my DD, and really like when she interacts with the other kids. It is helping break her shyness.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010