I feel like worlds worst mom today:(

I put my baby in her carseat, on the coffee table while I ran outside to check and see if the base was in the car. The coffee table is 2 feet high and 5 feet away from the front door. I was only outside a minute. I came back in and my baby was sliding off the table, I could not catch her in time before she fell face first onto the ground..I could not believe I did not strap her in because we were about to leave to her grandmas..She immediately started screaming and I rushed her to the emergancy room. She is fine but has a little bit of a busted lip. She is laughing, smiling and still playful with all her strength so they let us come home. She is 6 months old.

I cannot get rid of the feeling of guilt. It is all my fault and I feel like a terrible mom. How Could I let this happen to my daughter?
Has anyone else been in my shoes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try not to stress so much. It was an accident. Your daughter loves you.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My daughter has rolled off the couch, and my son fell of our bed when he was younger. Accidents are bound to happen. You learn and move on. She's ok and has probably already forgot about it. Don't strain yourself to much. You have alot more bumps and bruises coming...
    Anonymous

• Don't feel bad Momma! She's fine and won't remember it, and one day, when she's older you'll tell her about it and you both will laugh....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Oh yes. When my daughter was about 3-4 mos. I left her on the bathroom counter in her boppy for about 2 seconds. The counter is about 3.5 ft high, (pretty high!). I was gone for literally 2 seconds when I heard a loud slam. Of course, she had fallen off it! I wasn't even aware at the time that she could move that well, she couldn't even sit up or roll at that point and it never occurred to me that she would even be able to move around enough to fall off! I was a new mom and hadn't learned that babies do not know about 'danger' or anything like that. We had to go to the Er and she had to get a catscan. It was one of the most horrific moments of my life and I will never forget it. She was fine, but I have nightmares of her falling from heights ever since! I still do and she is over 1 years old.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• ((((((((hugs)))))))) Yes. All moms make mistakes. Give thanks that she is fine, you handled it just right afterward, and resolve to be vigilant in the future, and give yourself a break. All is well and all is well and all is well....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• It turns out nearly every mom has such a story. One of my cousin's kids leaned over in a supermarket shopping cart and fell headfirst into the lineoleum. You know that ground is not soft. Another friends kid face planted out of his highchair while they all just watched in shock. These things happen all the time.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• When my lil baby girl was 4 months old and I left her in her carseat not strapped in on the floor and she flew herself forward and fell .... I watched it all happen, but couldn't get there fast enough! I know exactly how you feel... BUT let's face it she has already forgotten the whole incident. You'll probably feel guilty for a day or so ... like jamesmommy said ... your daughter loves you and you are NOT a bad mother ....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Dont stress it happenes to everyone, you now learned from your mistake, move on and dont do it again. just remember there is no perfect parent. My son rolled off the couch when he was an infant, i felt so bad but it never happened again!!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I remember how horrible I felt the first time my oldest got hurt. She was about your babies age, was sleeping in her car seat on a couch at a friends house when the power went out into complete darkness. The other little kids there started freaking out screaming and running into everything and knocked her off the couch with the car seat upside down. She was screaming and crying, I started crying, and thankfully my friend took her from me and she calmed right down. She was fine and was only crying because I was so upset. Any how, you are not a bad mom. Kids and babies get hurt sometimes.Those are called knowledge bumps! Now you know how fast she can wiggle out of her car seat, and she learned that all landings aren't cushy. There are lots more yet to come!
    Some day your going to look back and laugh at yourself for panicking over the small stuff. Huge hugs, everythings okay!
    Anonymous

• I put my DD down on the bed and turned around to get something out of her dresser she crawled off the bed and broke her collar bone.  I felt terrible. But  I learned from it. Do not turn your back on your child.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010