my one month old....

is it normal for her to want to be held ALL the time? She gets hysterical if you set her done even just for a minute. The only time she is okay to be left to herself is when she is sleeping. Is there anything I can do for her to help her not be such a moody butt and enjoy sitting alone for at least a little bit.

and how long should she be staying awake? She has been staying up for a good three or four hours and then naps for 1-3 hours...2 hours is her regular sleeping duration

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have "held" her for nine months. She feels safe that way. It will take time for her to adjust to feeling you gone when you lay her down. Swaddle her so she still feels warm and cozy

Answer by admckenzie at 5:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I miss thoes days now my son is two and doesnt like to be held or hugged unless he want too
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Mine was the same way, still is.... she's 4 months now.

I hold her sitting down, and if she cries I rock her, but I don't stand personally because I just cant do it all day. I have a swing she likes it sometimes, not super fond of it. Being held standing up is her favorite. She's getting better now. Just don't give in too much.

As far as her sleep awake schedule.... As my 4 month old has aged week by week she stays up a little longer. The nice thing is she sleeps through the night, occasionally waking at 4am but usually not before 6am.

Does yours sleep through the night? If so that may be why.

I never really believed you could comfortably put an infant on a schedule, but I do think there are things you can do, staying within a routine that can help get her to sleep longer during the day.

I started making sure mine sleeps in her room with the door mostly closed. It added an hour to her nap seriously. :D 3 thumbs up.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• admckenzie is right, all she has known is to be cozy, warm, and with you. Just give her some time. I remember feeling like I was going stir crazy when my daughter was 1 month old because I felt like it had been so long since I had done anything for myself, talked to friends, and walk without holding her but now it seems like such a short time. Just try to give her some time and she will learn healthy independence...she loves you Mama!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• A lot of people say I miss those days, she's used to it...

However one thing they may have dismissed or forgot is that it's too draining to have your infant attached to your arms (standing up) all day long. As much as even I'd like to do this I cannot physically do it. I can imagine moms not getting anything done doing this. Going nuts.

Another tool though is those baby carriers that strap to your back.

Good luck
    Anonymous

• This sounds totally normal for a 1 month old. Pretty much the only time my kids were put down at this age was when they were asleep. Sometimes they would hang out in the bouncy seat for a bit with the vibrating feature on, or the swing.
    Hang in there and keep holding baby a lot, it will make her less clingy in the long run. Research shows that the more babies are held in the first 6 months, the less they cry in the 2nd 6 months.
    In one study, some women were told to carry or "wear" their babies for an extra 3 hours a day "After six weeks, the infants who received supplemental carrying cried and fussed 43 percent less than the noncarried group. "
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My son will be a month old on the 4th... I have an infantino carrier --NOT the sling-- and use it religiously. It allows him to feel safe & comfortable & be with me while I am up doing what I need to do.
    mrs_patterson

Answer by mrs_patterson at 6:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I know it's hard - my 4 month still wants to be held 85% of the time. I would invest in a Moby wrap or other soft carrier, like a Hotsling. You cannot strap a one month old baby to your back, like anon 5:45 suggested, they should be in the front, high up on your chest. She will get better - she's not being moody, she needs you. If babies weren't supposed to be held all the time, they would be born walking. Seriously, get one of the carriers I mentioned & things will get easier.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• OP here. Thanks ladies for the support. My nana made me a sling (im aware of the warnings for them) so im hoping that will help...I havent recieved it yet though...my baby is also one who HATE HATE HATES being in her carseat and the stroller so a sling will be a life saver im hoping!
    lilbabybugs

Answer by lilbabybugs at 6:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• i had the exact same problem.....so i bought my son a rocker.....the rocking motion was something he enjoyed and slowly began to understand that u can't always be held...he's 3 and a half months now and doesn't need to be held that often anymore
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 31, 2010