Have you adopted?

If so, from where? How long was the process? What agencies did you go through? did you have to travel to pick up your child(ren)? Would you say open adoption or closed adoption is better? Anything else you'd like to tell me...? Thanks. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Adoption

• Yes...
    Internationally- China- our whole process from the start of paperwork through travel was 25 months. We began our paperwork on 3/15/05, sent our dossier to China on 9/7/05, logged into their system 10/10/05, referral on 2/1/07, saw her picture on 2/2/07, received our travel approval on 3/7/07, and left for China on 3/29/07. We met dd on 4/3/07, finalized by Chinese law on 4/4/07 and finalized by US law on 4/13/07 and came home on 4/14/07.
    We used Bethany Christian Services- we loved them... our adoption is closed as it is an international adoption with no family history. I wish with all of my heart that we knew something..especially since our 3 yr family day is in 3 days.. it really brings many emotions to the fore front of my heart and mind around this time of year.
    If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:53 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Yes, we adopted internationally from China just over 1 year ago. We were logged in with China on March 2, 2006 - just a few months later than mcginnisc -- and our entire process from application to returning home took 4 years. That is how much the wait has grown for the China non special needs program. It continues to get longer every month. However, they have a very good special needs program in place that moves along much more quickly. We used Children's Hope International and were very happy with their service. We travelled to China in March, 2009 and stayed for 2 weeks. It was a wonderful, stressfull, exhausting, amazing trip. Also like mcginnisc, our adoption is closed and we have absolutely no information about our dd's history or family. I would give up pretty much anything to have that information for her.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2010

• If so, from where? - We adopted through foster care. How long was the process? - We did foster with our oldest, he was placed with us right after we were licensed, adopted at 20 months. Our baby we were matched with him 11 mo after going on the wait list for adoptions only. What agencies did you go through? - DHS. did you have to travel to pick up your child(ren)? No further than within the county. Would you say open adoption or closed adoption is better? We know a ton and have pics of biofamily on our oldest. Tons of info on medical and mental health history. We know basic family dynamics of our baby, no photos, no known med/mental history. Anything else you'd like to tell me...? Foster adoption is a roller coaster, but so worth it in the end. There are plenty of groups on here that talk about adopting from foster care. Your welcome. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I also adopted through DHS. The process was long.. I am my son's biological Aunt (puzzling?).. so it was called kinship care. I got him when he was 5 days old and got to adopt him the month before he turned 3. I did have to take classes and a social worked visited the house. I made sure that I got an attorney and was allowed in the court proceedings. I didn't have to travel to get him, so no cost there. I was given his medical background, course I new his biological father and have gotten information about his biological mother, but basics as stated in last answer. My son knows he is adopted and sees his biological father at family events or when he takes the time to come (!). His mother has made no contact beyond a picture. He can ask any question and I will answer.. and we have discussed it.
    I would tell you that adopting this way is a roller coaster, but I would think anyway you adopt would be. Good Luck!
    abitirish

Answer by abitirish at 9:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I adopted 3 children a long time ago. We had to travel out of state to pick them up but it's been well worth it. We also got lucky in that we had a great social worker and so did the girls. They worked great with each other. We did ours thru Luthern Social Services (we're not Luthern they do anyones) and the girls were in foster care. Open adoption as far as mom goes never would have worked. However it wouldn't have mattered as she died about 4 months after placement with us. We did however open the adoption up to the grandmother and their babysister once the adoption was finalized. The grandmother was a sweet lady but just couldn't handle 3 children with the 4th on the way.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• We adopted domestically in 2007. The process from the point at which we selected an agency to when we actually held our child was just over 2 years. Our son was born one state over from us. Since he was a preemie, we drove 90 minutes each way for a week and a half to visit him daily before he was released. We wanted an open adoption and do send regular letters to our birth mother via the agency but we know she has requested they not be sent. (Our son was her 4th child and no one knew she was pregnant. Apparently one of her other kids got a hold of one of the first letters and started asking questions..) We do it in case she changes her mind in the future. If you're looking for lots of good information on adoption, try reading "The Adoption Resource Book" by Lois Gilman. it covers all different types of adoptions, issues to consider, processes, etc.
    Anonymous