How often do you take your child to the playground, pool, indoor playgrounds, etc.?

Sometimes I wonder if I am doing too much. I take my 3 year old and my 9 month old somewhere every single day. This week is spring break so we've been doing day trips. Usually my 3 year old goes to PreK and then when he gets home at 11:30 we will go to the playground and then to swimming lessons. If the weather is bad I will take then to Chick Fil A or an indoor play place like Monkey Joes. I feel guilty when I don't take them out some place but once in a while I really just feel like staying home

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• i try to take her outside everyday,, we have a playground in the back yard. before we got the playground it was hardly ever..
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 5:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• we have a huge backyard and a swing set and trampoline outside so most days we will just go out and he'll play with the dog, swing and jump. So we go out daily and go to the park or zoo on weekends.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 5:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I don't take my daughter somewhere everyday. I think it's important for children to learn how to "entertain themselves". It encourages use of their imagination and a sense of independence which I think is good. I sometimes do go to the park but it's not all the time, it's more of a special occassion or weekend thing. Otherwise she has fun at home playing by herself, with friends, doing crafts, jumping on the trampoline, riding her scooter, etc.
    Anonymous

• Just remember the older they get the more they will expect... If you run them around now, they won't know how to play at home and whine about being bored all the time. We have a set rule, Mon-Thur we're at home and no running around unless they have a sports practice or school function. We will be home for the next 2 days because they're off for spring break until Monday. Sat and Sun we're going to get out and find something to do. They know the rules and find fun things to do at home. We have a trampoline, tire swing, b-ball hoop, dirtbikes, and we have a huge yard so they can play ball, soccer, etc...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:52 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• never.... but they are teens so they would have a fit if i took them to the park.

BUT... when they were little we would go 3-5 times a week. It was a way for me to hang with other moms and get some mental stimulation while playing with my kdis.
    Anonymous

• We didn't do it too often when he was littler because he got SO overwhelmed with everything going on due to his autism. In the summer we go almost daily to the park,but he still gets overwhelmed after a few minutes and wants to go home.He plays on the playground at school and runs in gym. He loves the splash pad we have in the park. Wisconsin weather doesn't allow too much outdoor activities most years!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• During the summer we go to the park everyday and sometimes the pool too or another park! During the winter when there's too much snow we stay inside and make it out once a week (one car and dh works funny hours). I also feel guilty when I can't get her out as often as I want but she survives!!! Sometimes we like just sitting on the couch together or playing hide and seek all day!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I am a sahm, we homeschool, etc.... we alternate days of staying home and going out. Of the six days a week my husband is at work (Mon - Sat), we are out three of those days and home the other three. Well, unless something else is going on like a field trip or party.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:41 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• if the weather is really nice we are always at the park or outside our house. if the weather is crappy and I have to go into town for something, we might stop by the indoor play area at the mall. we go to library playgroup once a week and usually have a playdate at a friend's house every week or so.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:17 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• In the winter we go to the indoor pool at least once a week and somewhere indoors playground, the Y, the children's museum, etc. once or twice a week. During the summer we are at the park or playground at least a couple of times a week and the outdoor pool once or twice a week too. BUT, if one of us feels like they need some time at home, we stay home. That includes me.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2010