How old is too old for a child to have a pacifier? At a restaurant yesterday a little girl around 5 or 6 was sucking happily away. Would or did you set an age limit for your child having one?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 6:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine was off at a year. No later.

I think if your kids 2 years or older they should definitely be off the binki.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• 5 or 6?! that little girl is going to have some horrible teeth..my dh and i set an age limit of 2..before my daughters 2 bday sve will be done with the "binkie" as we call it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• That's like a 5 -6 year old in DIAPERS? Why? Why keep the binki?

It's now become the parent's comfort!
    Anonymous

• I think after 2 is a little much...but thats JMO. My DS never really liked pacifiers so I never really had to deal with taking it away.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• 6 months
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• to me any baby or child is to old for a pacifier. Buit that is just me.
    When a child is taken off the bottle. They should be taken off the pacifier. To me, that is around 1 or 11/2 years old.

Answer by louise2 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• My dentist told me two is the absolute oldest. I admit though, one of my kids had one almost until age four. Her teeth are messed up beyond belief though. Idk if they would have been anyway, or if the pacifier is solely to blame. I'm sure it's a combination of both genetics and the paci. Five or six seems awfully old for one. Unless the child was younger, and she was just big for her age...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• luckily my child didn't like pacifiers but I would set the limit to 6 months with my future children.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I got lucky too, my kids never used them but if they did, I would have taken it when their teeth came in, just like I did with their bottles.
    Anonymous

• After one year my kids could only have them at nap time, bed time, or in the car. We ditched them completely before they turned two.
    Anonymous