Can Mom sen Dad to jail on basis of religion?

Interfaith couple in the news lately. Divorced couple with one dd. Dad baptized their dd at Catholic Church. Why would mom get so mad at Dad?
And she being Jewish. What gives her the power to not want their dd experiencing Dad's beliefs and culture.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I saw this a few weeks back when it first came out in the media. And I saw interviews with both parents. IMO, it was a bit shady of the dad, because he not only agreed to raise their daughter Jewish but joined the Jewish faith to the point of being circumcised (we aren't saying he just went to temple once in a while here). And then once they split up he changed his mind and decided the daughter would be better as a Christian.

Frankly I see it as appalling that they would use their child or their religion as a weapon and see both parents as guilty here. But until the courts stop allowing cases like this to be heard, it will keep happening. If I were the judge I would ban BOTH parents from taking the child to religious services until she is old enough to choose for herself. But so far he has only told the father not to take her... Which is prejudicial at best!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:40 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Do you have a link to the news story?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• How old is the child? Did she make this decision on her own or was there any pressure?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:21 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Joseph Reyes, who baptized his 3-year-old daughter without his ex-wife's permission, could see jail time after a Cook County judge granted his ex a temporary restraining order barring him from exposing the child to any religion other than Judaism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/16/joseph-reyes-dad-faces-ja_n_464567.html
    Anonymous

• i'm not catholic, i'd be upset if that happened without my permission. Going to jail over it? no way! upset? Yes. That is something that needs to be discussed between the two of them. I'm not into baptising little children, so i'd be upset either way.
    Anonymous

• I remember hearing about a similar story a few weeks back not sure it is the same one your referring to. My opinion is that if the parents are of two different faiths the child should be exposed to both but not committed to one or the other, the child should be allowed to make their own choice at an appropriate age.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:24 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Honestly I can completely see why she is mad and I am a Catholic. Perhaps to her its not about beliefs and culture but the eternal soul of her daughter. Or maybe its simply because the Catholic Faith as well as most Christians believe that anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ is doomed to hell. Perhaps a Jewish Mother doesn't want her daughter believeing that her mother is doomed to hell.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I was watching the news and it was said that she had mentioned that her ex was looking for vendetta and that's why he took their dd to his church. Just to make her mad.
    Anonymous

• That is just a toddler and the father should have known better. I agree that the Mom is worried that her daughter will be brought up in a faith that says she will go to hell for not believing that Jesus is her savior. Why couldn't he let the child grow up exposed to both faiths and let her decide on her own? What an asshat of a father
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:29 PM on Mar. 31, 2010