Scientology is Pagan? Thats a new one.

My SIL called to ask me about her friend who has been telling her of her "new" belief system. She syas she is a Pagan, that she follows Scientology and participates in Audting. She is telling my SIL who is a very strong Christian woman that she has been brainwashed by my In-laws about religon.

She called me because she knows that I am a more open person who has friends and personal beliefs that are different than hers, in hopes that i could explain it to her.

I told her that Scientology is not Pagan, I honestly never thought it was and i have asked friends who agree it is not. Auditing from what i have researched sounds like brainwashing to me lol.

Has anyone heard of this? do you have views on it? I am trying to help SIL out so she can understand her friend, personally I think her friend is misguided, illinformed and confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay, to be technical, ANY religion which does not follow Abrahams belief system in one way or another (Jewish, Muslim & Christian) is Pagan. So yes, Scientology DOES fit the broad definition of the term.. Just as Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism and other faith do. But it doesn't fit definition of Paganism as a religion. People who use the term Pagan to describe their religious beliefs tend to belong to a line of faith that is polytheistic, nature loving and/or re-constructionist in nature - so by this definition Scientology is NOT Pagan...

So, she is in fact right in a way. Scientology is Not Jewish, Islamic or Christian in nature, and there fore is "Pagan." However, you will never hear a Scientologist say they are Pagan.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:47 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Couldn't have said it better than Sabrina
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Sabrina pretty much voiced my answer on this.
    Anonymous

• all I know about scientology is that the top tier of belief is that they chosen ones will be taken by aliens.LR hubbards book "Dianetics" outlines the entire process of the "religion", and he was the lead guy so I guess he would know. its all in that book.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• >>>>> However, you will never hear a Scientologist say they are Pagan.

I think that is why I questioned it, i couldnt imagine them labeling themselves as pagan.

I do understand what your saying about the term "pagan" I had that same thought but then i came back to if you have a belief why would you call yourself pagan if your not following paganism as a religion?

She also claims to do spells and rituals, my Niece swears this lady has a demon in her house, My SIL is worried and tells me that the family celebrates nature based holidays. I really think the poor women is confused and have advised my SIL to just limit contact with her, it just seems easiest until she figures out what is going on.
    Anonymous

• OP here sorry that last bit sounds bad I am NOT against paganism, It is the opposite I follow more of a pagan path but My inlaw is not so I am having to look at this from her point of view to explain it to her.
    Anonymous

• I would have to say this woman is either disturbed or very confused. I've known more than one Pagan who believed in Demons and I myself believe in Evil or Malevolent Spirits (although I see "Demons" as completely different). But if she is doing Pagan Sabbat Rituals, Spell work and claims to be a Scientologist... She needs to pick a path... The two are not the same.

Could it be that your SIL just miss understood?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Never heard of a scientologist doing any sort of spell work.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• >>>>Could it be that your SIL just miss understood?

At first I thought so but I ran into this girl at a Pagan event and was surprised to see her there becuase we live 7 hours from each other, so she had to seriously travel for that event. So I assumed, I know my bad, that she was pagan and just sort of tuned my SIL out when she started telling me about her friend no longer being christian. Over the last few weeks my SIL has told me more about it and asked specific questions such as why we celebrate different holidays and about moon phases, then asked about why we believe in scientology and what exactly auditing was. Those questions are what made me stop and ask her what exactly was going on.

I just asked SIl and her firend calims to follow both a nature based path and scientology so I am 100% sure this poor girl is confused.
    Anonymous

• What Sabrina said.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2010