Can you actually die of a broken heart?

I just got served custody papers for my ex to keep my two year old.
Today I got to see her for a few hours, and as I'm giving her back to her father, she starts to cry and cling to me ... My heart shattered. I feel so empty and lost ..
I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get over feeling so broken hearted ..
I realize that it's not in the right section, but this section usually gets more attention and I kinda just need some words of encouragement to get me through ..

DesignerMom0801

Asked by DesignerMom0801 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes,you can actually
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I have felt that I would die of a broken heart before. My sons father took my son for a night and then he moved, didn't tell me where he moved to, wouldn't answer the phone, I heard NOTHING for 3 days.The cops couldnt do anything, we didnt have a custody order at this point. I did not sleep, I did not eat.I even think there were moments when I couldn't breath.I finally got a cop to call him,just to scare him, there was actually nothing the cop could really do.And he brought him back. Then I fought like hell until I got the legal custody documents needed.
    I can not even begin to imagine the heart break you must be going through right now.I suppose only time will help to fade the ache in your heart.Take it day by day and when that gets too rough, take it hour by hour.Give yourself the time you need then don't forget to remember YOU.Take care of YOU.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I know this is hard for you, and maybe you can work something out so you can see her more. But you CAN do this - for your dd's sake. I have faith in you that you CAN stay strong, and get through this, because she needs you to - she needs your strength to help HER get through it.

My sister has joint custody with her ex. She gets the kids for 6 mos, and he has visitation, and then he gets them for 6 mos, and she has visitation. It works out well for them overall, but still, it breaks her heart when she has to take them to their dad to stay for his 6 mos. But, she stays strong and does it for the kids. She's been doing it for over a decade now, and her boys are healthier for it, because she loves them, and does it for them.

I know you're going to be strong, and that your love for your daughter will give you the strength to get through this!

(((hugs)))
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I am sorry you are going through this, if it were me I would feel like I could die from a broken heart, I couldn't imagine what your going through (( huggs))
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• yes you can, but usually ots for people whos bodies have been connected, like husbands, life partners etc... because physically and mentally the brain thinks they are one.

If one half dies or is never to be seen again its hard for the body and mind to grasp,usually it has to do with people who had sexual relations.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:35 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I am sorry. I truly believe that you can but cannot die directly from a broken heart (kinda like people don't die from AIDS). When my Husband and I separated I stopped eating and had to force myself to drink water. I cried so much I rubbed my cheeks raw. My Mom came in and would hold me and my parents helped me with our kids. I will NEVER forget the heartache.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 31, 2010