would this bother you?

If your DH or SO got a prescription for an antidepressant drug from a family care doctor, not a therapist just because DH or SO has a rash that has stayed for over a year and doc said this med will help cure it as well as help DH deal with stress? It bother's me! My DH has only seen this doctor once, how can he just take my DH's word for it and prescribe him an antidepressant without evaluating him or having my DH speak to a therapist. I don't know if I am over reacting or I should just let it be, I just hate the fact that doctors are so quick so issue a prescription.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Health

• Sadly, a lot of doctors are pill pushers. Sometimes they get paid by the pharm. companies to prescribe their pills. Check out the pill online, it's uses and side effects. I am more anti-prescription than anything anymore. Maybe you can try to find a home remedy that has some of the same effects as the pill, most times than not, for every scientific cure, there's a natural one. If you are uncomfortable with it, talk to your husband and ask him to get a 2nd opinion, to just humor you.
    Anonymous

• These drugs won't do a darn thing if he isn't depressed. Something to do with the hormones you release during depression,so it won't technically do any harm if thats something you're worried about
    Anonymous

• I don't think he's depressed now, he has had episodes of depression when he was unemployed, I mean unless I am just clueless but I've been with the guy for over a decade. The doc told him that the medication would take away the rash because most likely they have stayed there due to stress, does that make sense?
    Anonymous

• My husband would have enough sense to know that script isn't going to help him and wouldn't even take it to the pharmacy.
    Anonymous

• If the rash is hives, then yes, it can be caused by stress.

Anon :06 is right - many docs are paid by the pharmaceutical companies for the meds they prescribe.

Anonymous

• anon 06 here....

BTW: my thoughts on "depression" is this: it certainly is possible to have depression, but unless it is really a chemical imbalance in your brain, the drugs won't do anything but mask it. 98% of our population is walking around, numbed to reality because their doctor said that they were depressed. Well, if you're depressed, talk about it...why are you depressed...was it a death or the loss of a job or whatever....

I would recommend that you call a dermatologist. I had an issue with my foot for over a year and my family physician didn't think it was anything...I finally went to a dermatologist and VOILA! he gave me a cream and it is now gone. (the issue, not the foot)lol...
    Anonymous

• anon :06 is wrong. Doctors are NOT paid to prescribe certain meds. That would be insurance companies being paid when they cover or recommend certain meds. I have asked numerous doctors about this and NONE of them get paid by drug companies, heck they don't even get samples or pens anymore.

OP: You husband shouldn't be on antidepressants if he isn't depressed, he could easily become addicted to them, depressed or not. Are you sure he was given an antidepressant and not an antianxiety? There is a difference. Just because you don't think your husband is depressed or didn't notice, doesn't mean he isn't. I have been clinically depressed and NO ONE knew until I went to my family doctor and told him what was going on. Some people can hide it very well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2010