10 month old and whole milk

Have you ever heard of putting a 10 month old on whole milk instead of formula? What if the baby eats mostly solids and only drinks formula 2 to 3 times a day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. I won't let my kid have milk until he's at least 2 years old, if then. Milk is garbage, and it really is associated with lots of allergies and ear infections. Not worth it!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Too early...you run a risk of causing digestive problems by bringing in dairy proteins this soon. Up until the first birthday, formula (or breastmilk) is supposed to be the majority of the diet, and solids are supposed to be a very minor part.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:55 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• We did it and my LO is fine. We did it under pedi supervision. My niece did it and so did 2 of my friends 3 kids. All 4 of these children are just fine. The only reason not to is the concern about them getting enough iron. If your child is getting a mostly solid diet and it is VERY well rounded then I think it would be okay as long as you LO's iron or hemoglobin levels are right on target.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:00 PM on Mar. 31, 2010