my baby is 5 months old and has never taken a pacifier, should i even offer one?

she is ebf and we co sleep and she never wanted anything to do with one. the other day i gave her one i had laying around and she sucked on it for a few minutes, then i used one the other night to help her sleep at 2am, and i offered when she was awake but she just chewed on it

should i not even start this habit? she does fine without them.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:26 PM on Mar. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't start, unless she is a thumb sucker because you can get rid of a pacifier but not a thumb
    Anonymous

• heck no don't give it to her!
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 7:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• if she does fine without them I would not start a habit of it. Pacifiers are just artificial boobies. We have a few pacifiers lying around from babyu shower gifts from my first child. they just use them as toys. The only time I ever tried them was with my frist because he was horrible in the car, but he would never keep it in his mouth, so I woiuld just give him the boobie or have him suck on my finger.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• NO! Not at all!!!!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 7:46 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't -the only time I give Chloe one is if she is having one of those I-need-to-be-held-or-the-world-will-end kinda days and I have to pee or get dressed. She's never had one to go to sleep or anything.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Why bother? You'll regret it if she becomes super attached and won't give it up later. She's been fine without it until now, so I'd stay away from it. DD loved hers, but DS never took one.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• Mine spit it out at 6 months and wouldn't take it again. I would NOT be offering at this late in the game if she has been fine without it so far.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:37 PM on Mar. 31, 2010

• I was in your same situation, and I didn't. She weaned at 18 months, probably due to my pregnancy, and has never been a thumb sucker or anything, either.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2010